Cookbooks & copyright question

Subject: Cookbooks & copyright question
From: clarkjc@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:35:37 -0400
Thoughtful list colleagues,

I received the following query from a faculty member at my
institution. Very interesting!... but I'm not sure what an
appropriate answer would be--if there's one other than asking
recipe-by-recipe permission. I'm inclined not to think so...
but don't have an argument I'm confident of at this point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.  Jeff

"A friend and I am thinking about writing a cookbook.
Possible
titles include _Cooking with Philosophers_ and _A
Philosopher's Cookbook, or Discourse on the Method:  Being an
attempt to introduce the experimental method of reasoning
into culinary subjects_.  [...] One of
our points is that it is quite reasonable to take a recipe
and 'play with it,' substituting ingredients, changing
amounts, and so forth.  Our question concerns the copyright
status of recipes.  Could we include the basic white bread
recipe from, for example, the Westbend Bread Machine
Cookbook, cite the source, and use it as the basis for some
of our possible modifications?  (It's the basis for a whole
wheat, hazelnut, and poppy seed bread that I bake, for
example, among other breads.)  The recipe in question is
fewer than 400 words, it's less than 10 percent of the work
from which it is taken, but is a recipe itself taken as a
work?  [...]

We'll have generic recipes, which shouldn't be a problem,
but to do interesting things, one sometimes needs to begin
with something a bit more determinate.  Can we use an
occasional recipe drawn from a published source?"

Jeff Clark
Director
Media Resources MSC 1701
James Madison University