Clipping Services

Subject: Clipping Services
From: Deborah_Showalter-Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:37:02 -0500
For years, my organization has been clipping articles from newspapers
published in a 7 state area.  Once clipped, the articles are copied,
compiled and the resulting pages, grouped under a title like "NewsUpdate",
 are distributed to multiple department heads in multiple locations.  In
my half of the state there are about 20 receivers of the resulting
document.  The document may then be routed inside the department.   This
compilation allows everyone in our 7 state area to see articles written
about the organization, its people and the effect the decisions made by
our people have on the community.  It keeps everyone in the organization
up-to-date.   Is this type of document considered Fair Use?  If we were to put the document on an internal website rather that mailing
out physical copies, would that change anything?  If we were to email the
document to users, would that change the status?  This has probably come
up before or may seem obvious to most, but I would appreciate any thoughts
on this type of publication.  Thanks very much.

Deborah K. Showalter-Johnson