RE: Clipping Services

Subject: RE: Clipping Services
From: "Reb Thomas" <reb-thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:39:51 -0400
Regarding arguments for and against commercial "fair use," you probably
should be familiar with the Texaco case (
ftp://www.arl.org/copyright/texaco/majority ) and that line of cases.
People can argue both ways in these situations, but if your activity is
important for your organization, why not contact the various newspapers and
make appropriate arrangements so you can avoid any misunderstanding.
Otherwise, you will find that the newspapers will argue that if it is
important for the people on your distribution list to get the information
you are sending them, they should each buy a subscription.  And if it is not
important, why do it and expose your firm to the risk.

Regards,

Calhoun "Reb" Thomas
Thomas Law Firm
"Helping entrepreneurs with patents & other IP rights"
1201 Main Street, Suite 1980
Columbia, SC 29201
803-748-1303 (office)
803-787-9959 (fax)