[Fwd: EFFector 16.27: Action Alert: Stop the MPAA's Broadcast Flag!]

Subject: [Fwd: EFFector 16.27: Action Alert: Stop the MPAA's Broadcast Flag!]
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:17:36 -0400
FYI...

-------- Original Message --------
EFFector        Vol. 16, No. 27        October 11, 2003
donna@xxxxxxx

A Publication of the Electronic Frontier Foundation          ISSN
1062-9424

* Stop the MPAA's Broadcast Flag!

Hollywood is at it again, trying to control the design of new digital
technologies.  If the motion picture studios have their way, the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) will force manufacturers to include
Hollywood-approved "content protection" technology in all future
televisions.
Fair use, innovation and competition will suffer.  What's more, the
"broadcast
flag" technology that the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA)
has
proposed is so weak that it will do nothing to stem Internet
redistribution of
television programs.  Rather than thwart copyright infringement, the
broadcast
flag will harm the legitimate interests of consumers, innovators and
researchers.

The FCC has promised a ruling before the end of October.  We need you to
tell
the FCC that we don't want "broadcast flag" regulations that will hurt
competition, consumers and innovators.

Make your voice heard with the EFF Action Center:
<http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=2&item=2801>

Become an EFF member today:
<https://secure.eff.org/>

You can also get the latest issue of EFFector via the Web at:
  <http://www.eff.org/effector/current.html>