Copyright and reserves and music cds

Subject: Copyright and reserves and music cds
From: Elisabeth Leonard <leonarea@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:11:30 -0500
I have just received the following question from a faculty member.

"In the fall of 2002, I placed several CDs from my own personal collection on reserve for my students. The required listening included only one or two selections/songs from each CD.

For this upcoming semester, I'm interested in making one CD which will contain all thirteen selections from my collection of nine CDs and in placing this CD on reserve. This process would ensure that my personal CDs would not be harmed, that I would have easier access to the CDs for in-class playings and my own class preparations, and - most importantly - that students would not be able to copy the entire original CDs onto their computers. As well, the library will only have to process one personal CD (I will also be placing several music library CDs on reserve.)"

Would this copy be legal? Is this legal because it is only a song from each cd or is this illegal because it is creating an anthology? How about the fact that it is the same material in 2 semesters? If each song was placed on a separate cd would it be legal?

Thanks,

Elisabeth

--
Elisabeth Leonard
Head of Reference/Business and Economics Librarian

Phone: 336-758-5493
Fax: 336-758-8831
leonarea@xxxxxxx