[Fwd: Re: Jefferson and information]

Subject: [Fwd: Re: Jefferson and information]
From: "Elaine P. Whelan" <epwhelan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 13:59:05 -0500
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Jefferson and information
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:23:59 -0500
From: "Elaine P. Whelan" <epwhelan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: jesposito@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: digital-copyrights@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Joseph...My research into Jefferson's views found that although he
was originally against copyrights (then called monopolies), he came to
the conclusion that a balance was needed so that creative works and
inventions for the benefit of society would continue.   This developed
in his correspondences with James Madison when the U.S. Constitution was
being written.  My book on our landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision
(Whelan v. Jaslow) on the use of copyrights to protect computer software
covers this.  If you would like to have a complimentary copy, send a
mailing address.   It can also be found at the Copyrights Promote
Creativity Project's website www.promotecopyrights.com and at
amazon.com.   It's title is My Mom's Making History--The Story of
Computer Software, Copyrights and Creativity.

The purpose of our project is to develop education for students (and
 hopefully adults) on the history and purpose of copyrights.   We are
glad to know someone  understands the concepts and is willing to speak
out.     Elaine P. Whelan