Re: [Fwd: Re: Jefferson and information]

Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Jefferson and information]
From: "Seth Johnson" <seth.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:17:16 -0500
While preventing the free flow of ideas is not among the problems with
traditional copyright, it is a problem with the use of bogus notions
of copyright to try to get government mandates for content control.
Note the recent broadcast flag ruling of the FCC and attempts to build
content control into computer motherboards (TCPA/Palladium).  Most
horrendously, note the incredibly perverse combination of the French
notion of moral rights with a requirement to respect "DRM metadata"
which we find in the idiotic WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty.
And of course the ridiculous idea that the effort expended in
collecting information warrants granting to information collectors a
new exclusive right to their facts as such, evidenced in the
perrennial attempt to pass "Database Data" laws.

So, unless we make perfectly clear that information is free (not that
it wants to be; it is and it always has been), the ability of the
public to benefit from published information will surely be prevented.

Seth Johnson