Fees & citations Re: digital-copyright Digest 21 Jan 2004 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 319

Subject: Fees & citations Re: digital-copyright Digest 21 Jan 2004 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 319
From: Eleanor Uhlinger <euhlinger@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:44:10 -0500
At MBLWHOI Library we process all the copyright permissions
and charge the actual costs them back to the courses.  We
charge courses for the copyright fee & royalty fee per the
publisher or CCC.  The Library absorbs the "cost" of
staff time for processing requests & mounting items.

Our e-reserves are behind a password protected site.
Patrons enter the site, view the complete citation,
all permissions statements (per the terms specified
by the copyright grantor) AND fees/royalties paid before
a patron views the item.  We don't want our patrons to
think this is free or that they can do it on their websites
w/out considering copyright.  Also, if the item falls
into library fair use, we state that after the citation, too,
to help educate the patrons.

Here are 3 examples:

    * Hripcsak G, Wilcox A. 2002. Reference Standards, Judges,
      Comparison Subjects: Roles for Experts in Evaluating System
      Performance. J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:1-15.
      c2002, American Medical Informatics Association. MBL/WHOI Library
      Fair Use.
      **link goes here**
      <http://zeus.mbl.edu/mi/hripcsak_9.pdf>
    * Lusted LB. 2000. Biomedical Electronics-2012 A.D. Originally
      published in May 1962, and reprinted in: Proceedings of the IEEE,
      March;88(3):588-89. c2000 by the IEEE. Royalties of $30 paid to IEEE.
      **link goes here** <http://zeus.mbl.edu/mi/index.html>
    * Lindberg DAB, Humphreys BL, McCray AT. 1993. The Unified Medical
      Language System. Meth. Inform. Med. 32:281-91.  US Federal
      employee -- not subject to copyright
      **link goes here** <http://zeus.mbl.edu/mi/lindberg_32.pdf>
      <http://zeus.mbl.edu/mi/hripcsak_9.pdf>

--

ELEANOR S. UHLINGER
Assistant Library Director, MBLWHOI Library