RE: Displaying pictures

Subject: RE: Displaying pictures
From: "John T. Mitchell" <John@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 14:01:55 -0500
Coincidentally, this very day the Supreme Court is considering whether
to grant cert in a case that could answer the question.  According to
the petitioner in the Video Pipeline case, the use of images from a
copyrighted work as a "catalog" to the real McCoy should not be
infringing (i.e., should be fair use), and the circuits are split.  I
think there is an excellent argument that if the college is, for
example, using low-res thumbnails to show the public what they can find
in the collection on lawful display, it would constitute fair use,
provided it was not creating a "destination site" as a substitute, or
deriving revenue or other economic benefit  from page visits.  The devil
is in the details.
See http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/03-763.htm

I have a copy of the petitioner's brief if you are interested.

John
John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com