Re: copyrighting colors?

Subject: Re: copyrighting colors?
From: Brian Harrington <bharrington@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:45:49 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Paul Adams wrote:

> I have had two people tell me recently that colors can be copyrighted. This
> doesn't makes sense to me, as colors do not seem like intellectual property.
> I can't find anything about this from the Copyright Office site. Can anyone
> give me the scoop?

In addition to the trademark law that folks have mentioned, there's also
artist Yves Klein's patent on "International Klein Blue".  It seems that
he actually got the patent because he developed a new binding agent that
he used with a commercially available pigment to get the effect that he
wanted, but this usually gets described as a patent on the color.  (In
fact, I think that Klein himself liked to describe it that way...)

                 -- Brian

--
Brian Harrington
bharrington@xxxxxxxxxxxx