Media purchases outside the normal campus procedure

Subject: Media purchases outside the normal campus procedure
From: "Valerie A. Lang" <langval@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:00:12 -0400
The general practice at our institution is for any type of media
purchase to be channeled through our Instructional Media Center.  This
ensures broadest access to the materials and compliance with copyright
and licensing.

Recently, individual academic departments have purchased educational
videos.  As a result, we at HVCC are in need of a communication to the
campus community that outlines the importance of using the College's
Instructional Media Center for video purchases.

My question: can or should this statement include a proviso that HVCC
assumes no liability if an independent department violates copyright
regulations or licensing agreements?  The potential scenario I see: a
department purchases a video outright, for use in the classroom.  (1)
Would this constitute a public showing, therefore requiring permission
from the copyright holder, and if so, (2) in the case where the
individual department has not secured proper permission to use the video
in this manner, would a statement releasing HVCC from liability have any
legal purpose or effect?

Thank you in advance.

Valerie A. Lang
Librarian / Instructor / Copyright Officer
Dwight Marvin Library
Hudson Valley Community College
Troy, NY  12180
Phone: 518.629.7319