"Material must NOT have been intended for educational use"

Subject: "Material must NOT have been intended for educational use"
From: "Valerie A. Lang" <langval@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:45:07 -0400
Hello -

I have yet another question regarding the TEACH Act.  Below is a link
from the Chronicle of Higher Education, A Copyright Checklist for Online
Courses at :

 <http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i29/29a02901.htm?cch>
http://chronicle.com/free/v49/i29/29a02901.htm?cch#check .

The checklist is consistent with what I have read on the TEACH Act,
however I am unclear about the criterion in the 4th bullet down, "The
material must not have been originally intended for educational use."

I would welcome any clarification on that.  It is my understanding that
the material should be intended for educational use - unless I am
misinterpreting the statement somehow.

Help anyone.  Thank you.
Val

Valerie A. Lang