Re: FW: digital-copyright Digest 2 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 415

Subject: Re: FW: digital-copyright Digest 2 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 415
From: Edward Barrow <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:20:38 +0100
On Thursday 2 September 2004 19:42, Alice Ruleman wrote:

> We have a policy, instituted by our IT Dept., whereby faculty who post
> course material on electronic reserve are unable to view the material they
> post online.  In addition, our Instructional Media Center administrators,
> who actually post the materials, are also prohibited from online access.
>
> Valerie,
>
> The information below is from Univ. of Texas copyright site on e-reserves.
> Number 1 is especially pertinent to your question.  It gives access to
> students, faculty & IT staff.
>
>  ACCESS AND USE
> (http://www.utsystem.edu/OGC/IntellectualProperty/rsrvguid.htm)
> 1. Electronic reserve systems should be structured to limit access to
> students registered in the course for which the items have been placed on
> reserve, and to instructors and staff responsible for the course or the
> electronic system.

When developing licensing schemes for this type of use in the UK, we were
anxious NOT to impose such a restriction on universities.  It seems to me
that should a student wish to access material recommended for another course,
it runs entirely counter to the spirit of a university education - broadening
the mind etc - to prevent such access.  In practice, of course, it's hard
enough to get the students who ARE registered actually to read the material!
Technical restrictions like this are possible but the risks (to rightsholders)
that they address are minimal.  We found that rightsholders initially
favoured the imposition of registered-student-only restrictions but mostly,
after some reflection, accepted that on balance they achieve little.

Instead, we suggested that licensed e-resources should be accessible by all
faculty and students of a university, with the fee metric (where applicable)
based on the number of students for whom the material is required or
recommended reading.

--
Edward Barrow
Copyright Consultant