RE: digital-copyright Digest 3 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 416

Subject: RE: digital-copyright Digest 3 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 416
From: "Harper, Georgia" <GHARPER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:21:03 -0500
Edward Barrow wrote to Valerie Lang, regarding a response Valerie had
received from a third party that referenced the Univ. of Texas System
information about electronic reserves. That information suggested that
ereserves should be accessible to students registered for a class and
faculty and administrators involved in the class. Edward's response
suggested that such restrictions were unnecessary in licensed ereserves.
I agree entirely. The referenced material from the UT System site is
about "fair use" reserves. When we license materials from vendors, we
try always to negotiate campus-wide access. As a result, anyone can
access the materials. Either they can be instructed to access the
materials at the library (available online of course) or the materials
can be placed inside the course software, but if they are so placed (ie,
not a link to them on the database, but a copy placed within the
courseware platform), they would likely be available only to that class
from that location. But this in no way limits the access of the whole
rest of the school to the materials for which the library has already
paid.

Georgia Harper
Univ. of Tx. System
Office of General Counsel