RE: digital-copyright Digest 3 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 416

Subject: RE: digital-copyright Digest 3 Sep 2004 15:00:00 -0000 Issue 416
From: "Harper, Georgia" <GHARPER@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:08:17 -0500
We try very hard to assure that every contract the library enters into
either explicitly gives permission to use the database contents in
electronic reserves or is at worst, silent on that issue. If the
contract explicitly authorizes electronic reserves or is silent on the
issue, the library is authorized to make a copy of a licensed article
available to authorized users in a manner that is convenient for them
(or necessary in some cases). We are not talking about providing anyone
with something that we have not already paid for, of course.

So, you need to check your licenses to see what they either expressly
authorize, or what can reasonably be inferred from the terms you
negotiated. The only thing I consider to prevent use in electronic
reserves is an express prohibition, which we avoid like the plague. What
in the world are we paying the money for, after all?

Georgia

Georgia Harper
Univ. of Tx. System
Office of General Counsel