Interlibrary loans from other institutions' electronic databases?

Subject: Interlibrary loans from other institutions' electronic databases?
From: "Valerie A. Lang" <langval@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:32:41 -0400
Crossover interlibrary loan / copyright issue and yet another "first" for me
in this role:

Is it permissible for one academic institution to request journal articles,
via interlibrary loan, from a specific electronic database, held at another
institution?

E.g., A local university subscribes to JSTOR, we do not.  Would it be a
violation of copyright to request full text articles from this institution's
JSTOR database?  I would think the terms of licensing agreements could
preclude this and the amount of journal articles requested would determine
whether fair use principles would allow it or not.

Thank you in advance.

Valerie A. Lang
Librarian / Instructor
Dwight Marvin Library