RE: What to do with item in outdated format

Subject: RE: What to do with item in outdated format
From: deg farrelly <deg.farrelly@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:46:19 -0700
I disagree that you have the right to duplicate a series that you purchased
on laserdisc.

Films for the Humanities still distributes the series, on VHS and on DVD.
http://www.films.com/Films_Home/item.cfm?s=1&bin=820

IN GENERAL, copyright law rarely provides for complete copying of work (tho
there are exceptions)
Copyright law likley would permit duplication if the item were damaged, or
in an obsolete format, and there were no way to acquire new copies at a
reasonable price, after a reasonable effort.... (See Chapter 1, Section 108
http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#108 )

In this case you would need to make the argument that laserdisc is obsolete.
(Personally, I9m not sure it is... Outdated, outmoded, passe9, yes.  But not
yet * obsolete *.)

In any case, the obsolete format argument does not apply as new copies are
still available in other formats, and from the original distributor.  And
this information was remarkably easy to find with a 30 second search of the
FFH website.

FFH is a VERY reasonable company with which to deal.  They were pioneers and
VERY forward thinking in extending digital streaming rights to educational
institutions for the titles they carry.

Speak to them....

--
deg farrelly, Associate Librarian