RE: Thanks for your help and here's another question. . .

Subject: RE: Thanks for your help and here's another question. . .
From: "Robert Panzer" <rpanzer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:47:34 -0400
Perhaps I am saying something Ms. Roberts knows already, but before she
contacts Gerten-Jackson, she needs to be certain that the Indianapolis
Museum is the copyright holder in the works of art in question.  Museums are
typically not copyright holders of the works in their collections.  The
artists (or estates) are, or the works are in the public domain. The museum
may make a claim to own copyrights in their photos of the art (rather than
the original work), but at best that is a very thin copyright and at worse,
if the original work is two dimensional, like a painting, the photo might
not contain enough originality to qualify for its own copyright (See
Bridgeman v. Corel).

Regarding the advertiser making oils, the above is also true.  Regardless of
copyright, if the advertiser tries to pass the oils off as originals, than
the Museum might have some claim relating to fraud and perhaps other laws.

Sincerely,

Robert Panzer

VAGA (Visual Artists and Galleries Association)
350 Fifth Avenue
Suite 2820
New York, NY  10118
tel: 212 736 6666