Re: digital-copyright Digest 15 Mar 2005 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 491

Subject: Re: digital-copyright Digest 15 Mar 2005 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 491
From: hoon@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:04:34 -0400 (EDT)
The professor can do Nos. 1-5, if he meets the requirements of the TEACH
Act, the new section 110(2) of the Copyright Act.  See the list at
www.lib.ncsu.edu/scc/teachkit

This presupposes that the institution has not agreed to a license that
contains terms prohibiting such activity.  Contract law will govern over
any exemptions in the copyright act.  Otherwise, section 110(2) permits
the transmission of reasonable portions (excerpts)  of a performance of a
copyrighted work as long as the transmission is only received by students
enrolled in the course, the student does not have the work in accessible
form (use streaming) for longer than the class session (the time the
student is logged into the course), and a notice of copyright warning the
student that these works are protected by copyright is displayed.
Furthermore, the materials must be integral to the course (not
entertainment only) and the institution must have copyright policies and
promote copyright compliance through educational materials.

Section 110(2) is separate and distinct from 107 (fair use).  If you
cannot meet the 110(2) requirements, fair use is still available and may
well cover Nos. 1-5.  Fair use is not likely to allow transmission of an
entire work, however.

Peggy E. Hoon, J.D.
Scholarly Communication Librarian
NCSU Libraries