In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:43:33 -0400

Top court mulls P2P 'pushers'
By John Borland, CNET News.com, April 6, 2005
http://news.com.com/Top+court+mulls+P2P+pushers/2100-1027_3-5656010.html?tag=alert

"As the Supreme Court mulls the fate of file-swapping networks, justices are studying a rarely used element of copyright law that sparked bitter controversy when raised in Congress last year."
------

Extending an olive branch to file swappers?
By John Borland, CNET News.com, April 5, 2005
http://news.com.com/Extending+an+olive+branch+to+file+swappers/2008-1082_3-5653861.html?tag=nefd.ac

"For the last year, a handful of companies has offered college students cut-rate music subscriptions on campus, looking to wean them from the free file-swapping networks."
-----

The Weblog Chronicle: Inside View, Outside Grokster Hearing
By Jason Allen Cody, From the Blogbook: A Guide to Legal Blogging, April 2005
http://practice.findlaw.com/blogger-0405.html

"Tuesday morning: up by 5:00am, to Capitol Hill by 5:30, and parked by 5:45. I arrived at the steps of the Supreme Court by 6:00am and found my spot in line-about a hundred or so people lingered before me. I paced it so my coffee lasted about an hour as I stood listening to tourists, law students, and staffer/lobbyist-types espouse their understanding of the case: "this is like the VCR case" and "there is no theft because the artists don't lose anything-they still have the same thing that they had before the download."
*
Camping Out for the Grokster Case
By Katie Dean, Wired.com, Mar. 29, 2005
http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,67061,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_5

"WASHINGTON -- Forget Star Wars premieres. A seat at the MGM Studios v. Grokster Supreme Court hearing Tuesday morning was the hottest ticket in town."
--------

College Students Download in Dorm Rooms
By TED BRIDIS, The Associated Press, April 2, 2005
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21476-2005Apr2.html

"WASHINGTON - College junior Kyle Taylor is downloading hundreds of songs by No Doubt, Bruce Springsteen and others onto the Compaq laptop in his cramped dormitory room. With a few more clicks of his mouse, Taylor is watching commercial-free "Seinfeld" episodes on his computer. In just minutes, he then downloads the entire movie "A League of Their Own."
-------

High court upholds online music file-sharing as illegal
By Kyodo News , March 31, 2005
http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=2&id=332532

"TOKYO  The Tokyo High Court on Thursday upheld a lower court ruling that MMO Japan Ltd violated the Copyright Law by providing an online service for swapping music files and ordered it to pay a total of 71 million yen in damages to a copyright association and 19 record labels."
--------

RIAA suit against 2 students dropped: Officials had claimed inability to match IP addresses to users
By eric leventhal, Daily Pennsylvanian, March 30, 2005
http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/03/30/424a59cb4c32b

"Two illegal music downloaders at Penn are officially off the hook. The Recording Industry Association of America decided to drop its case against two anonymous individuals identified only by their Internet protocol addresses in a Dec. 16 lawsuit."