Re: Moderator

Subject: Re: Moderator
From: Bill Westwood <westwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:20:42 -0400
Mr. Upchurch,

I'm a little unclear regarding your initial question about  "a source which
declared
that subscribers to a newslist/discussion group automatically acquire a
copyright to the messages they post". Under the US Constitution, you own the
copyright to any written works that you create. You are granted copyright to
your "work" from the moment it is created in a tangible form.  Your e-mail
is copyrighted and your copyright can only be transferred in writing through
a document signed by you and the party you're transferring the copyright to.

All that said, if you sued for copyright infringement and won, you would
probably not get damages. Suing over an ordinary message would almost surely
get no damages, because the message has no commercial value. Further,
because your work wasn't (I assume) registered before the infringement, you
would not be eligible for attorney's statutory damages or attorney's fees.
But again, consult an attorney.

Mr. Zielinski's excellent comments would not apply if you are a US citizen.
VARA, the Visual Artists Rights Act, is the US version of moral rights
protection.  Unfortunately, it applies only to works of non-commercial
visual art (i.e. fine art) and is further limited to "works of recognized
stature".

If you live in a country with a more liberal interpretation and true belief
in the concept of moral rights for creator's work, I would suggest seeing an
attorney for advice.  As one who's had extensive (and not always pleasant)
involvement with attorneys and copyright infringement situations, I would
recommend that you do this as soon as possible.

In the US, I would think that your best course of action would be through a
defamation claim.  Although you might also discuss with a US attorney the
possibility of pursuing an "unfair competition" claim under the Lanham Act .
Under Lanham, if someone attempts to pass off an author's work as his/her
own, or conversely tries to pass off his/her own work as the author's, that
person may be guilty of unfair competition.  Lanham, unlike VARA, can
possibly extend some rights of integrity to more "commercial" (in the eyes
of the courts) works.  However, recent court decisions have indicated that
the courts only want Lanham to apply to "products".

I am not an attorney, and offer the above as food for thought.  I would
really suggest that you seek legal counsel sooner rather than later.  There
are statutes of limitation which apply to these things too.

Good luck.

Bill  Westwood

--
William B. Westwood, M.S.
Board Certified Medical Illustrator

p(518) 432-5237
f(518) 432-7106

For Great Medical Art, There's WESTWOOD and There's The Rest