In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 10:49:08 -0400

SMALL BUSINESS Q&A: Copyright laws don't cover ideas
By JACQUELINE TAYLOR, Houston Chronicle.com, April 23, 2005
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/small/3149725

"Q: I own a small marketing company and would like to put together a newsletter containing marketing tips for my clients. But I don't want my competitors copying my ideas and promoting them as their own. Will copyrighting my newsletter protect my ideas?"
-----

Couple plans suit in Web music case
By Mike Rutledge, Enquirer.com, April 23, 2005
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050423/NEWS0103/504230385

"COLD SPRING - Sally and Jim Wilson were frightened in February when they learned the recording industry had sued them because their two teenage daughters had downloaded 653 songs - and that they could be liable to pay $750 for each."
------

More on file-swapping networks than just songs
By Reuters,  April 24, 2005
http://news.com.com/More+on+file-swapping+networks+than+just+songs/2100-1027_3-5682539.html?tag=alert

"College kids looking for free music may have popularized Internet file-trading software, but the technology is now used by everyone from penny-pinching phone callers to polar explorers."
-----

2 North Carolina Students and Their Universities Prevail in Fight Over Recording-Industry Subpoenas
By ANDREA L. FOSTER, Chronicle.com, April 22, 2005
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2005/04/2005042201t.htm
(Registration Required)

"Two college students in North Carolina and their universities scored a legal victory against the recording industry last week, when a federal judge quashed subpoenas that would have required the institutions to reveal the students' identities."
------

Prison terms on tap for 'prerelease' pirates
By Declan McCullagh,  CNET News.com, April 19, 2005
http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5677232.html

"update File-swappers who distribute a single copy of a prerelease movie on the Internet can be imprisoned for up to three years, under a bill that's slated to become the most dramatic expansion of online piracy penalties in years."
-----

China sentences Americans to prison for selling pirated DVDs
By SIliconValley.com, Apr. 19, 2005
http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/news/editorial/11433412.htm

"SHANGHAI, China (AP) - Two American men were sentenced Tuesday to prison terms of up to 2 1/2 years for selling pirated DVDs on Internet sites in a rare success for joint U.S.-China efforts to enforce intellectual property laws."
------

Am I and other (bloggers) violating copyright laws ?
Posted by trenchier, Blogcritics.org, April 21, 2005
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/21/215104.php

"I rarely if ever look at the copyrights on the sources I quote. Recently, I researched the issue more and figured that with a few exceptions, I am indeed guilty of violating the copyrights of several entities. What's more, I doubt I'm alone."
-----

World Book and Copyright Day
By Manila Bulletin
http://www.mb.com.ph/OPED2005042233232.html

"UNITED Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Member-States chose April 23 as the appropriate date to celebrate World Book and Copyright Day because this is the date of birth and death of several world-famous authors. Born on this date were Vladimir Nabokov, Maurice Druon, K. Laxness, Joseph Pla, and Manuel Mejia Vallejo. Those who died on this date were Miguel de Cervantes, William Shakespeare, and Garcilaso de la Vega."
-----

James Boyle: Deconstructing stupidity
By James Boyle, FT.com, April 21 2005
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/39b697dc-b25e-11d9-bcc6-00000e2511c8.html

"In two earlier columns on Europes database directive, and European public information, I pointed out that our policy-process is almost evidence-free. New rights are created on the basis of anecdote and scaremongering. There are other examples and they are not confined to Europe."
----

Videotron willing to give subscriber details to CRIA
by Dela, AfterDawn.com,  22 April 2005
http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6357.cfm

"Videotron, a Canadian Internet Service Provider said it is willing to hand over personal details of its customers to the Canadian Recording Industry Association and doesn't understand why so many other ISP's would choose to fight it."