In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 09:32:05 -0400
---------------------------------------

Targets of RIAA unite
By DAVEEN RAE KURUTZ, Pitt News, May 04, 2005
http://www.pittnews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/05/04/42783bd7303cc

"Pitt students targeted in the Recording Industry Association of Americas upcoming lawsuits now have a place to turn for help. Alvin Fong, a Carnegie Mellon University freshman, created an organization for students named in the lawsuits to unite. "
------

Letters to the business editor: 5/3/05: Music stealing all around
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, May 03, 2005
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05123/497993.stm

"Cary Sherman's opinion piece on Sunday, "Mellifluous Discord: Universities' High-Speed Internet2 Used by Students to Pilfer Music," was as one-sided and illogical as the whole Recording Industry Association of America he represents, as president."
------

Anticopying fight mars mobile music
By John Borland, CNET News.com, May 5, 2005
http://news.com.com/Anticopying+fight+mars+mobile+music/2100-1025-5695758.html?part=dht&tag=ntop&tag=nl.e703

"A tussle over antipiracy technology is looming over the young mobile phone content business, with big phone companies claiming that new music and video services could be derailed as a result."
------

Editorial: Sharing isn't caring
By The Daily Illini Editorial Staff, , May 4, 2005
http://www.dailyillini.com/news/2005/05/04/Opinions/Editorial.Sharing.Isnt.Caring-947561.shtml

"Last Wednesday, President Bush signed The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, also known as the Artist's Rights and Theft Prevention Act (ART Act) into law. While the act takes significant strides toward punishing copyright violators and allowing for greater technological freedom for the entertainment industry, the law also threatens file-sharers with excessive punishments."
-------

IN OUR VIEW Overkill on copyright law
By The Daily Herald, May 05, 2005
http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=54308&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

"People who want to watch movies without offensive content won a victory last week. Congress approved, and President Bush signed, the Family Entertainment and Copyright Act, sponsored by Utah Republican senator and song writer Orrin G. Hatch."
-----

Business Mentor: Copyright rules are commonly misunderstood
By Sarah Trotman, The New Zealand Herald, 06.05.05
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=3&ObjectID=10124092

"Our small business needs some promotional material. We picked up a brochure at an overseas trade show which we like. We thought we'd copy some of the text and pictures from the brochure and then add our own trade mark and other bits and pieces. We heard that there is no copyright problem, so long as we copy less than 50 per cent of their material. Is this right?"
------

DVD and iPod taping may be legal
By Norrie Ross, Herald Sun (Australia),  06may05
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15193298%255E11869,00.html

"HOME recording of DVD movies and of music to iPod or MP3 players might be made legal under a Federal Government review."
------

MUSIGA not happy: ...About delay in the passage of Copyright Bill
By GNA, May 05, 2005
http://www.accra-mail.com/mailnews.asp?id=12826
The Ashanti Region branch of the Musicians Union of Ghana (MUSIGA) has expressed concern about the delay in the passage of the Copyright Bill."
-------

Copyright in the digital age: Monopolies versus communities
By OneWorld South Asia, May 5, 2005
http://southasia.oneworld.net/article/view/110788/1/1893

"New Delhi: The advent of free-market, knowledge driven economy is reshaping many paradigms; an important one being the way intellectual property is perceived and treated. In the digital era, established norms about ownership rights of individual/indigenous resources have either become questionable or defunct and irrelevant. At the same time, these issues remain important for a country's economic well being, especially as each nation scrambles to safeguard its position in the free-market tug of war."
---------

European Union Officials Support French-Led Proposal for Digital Library of Europe's Literature
By AISHA LABI, Chronicle.com, May 5, 2005
http://chronicle.com/prm/daily/2005/05/2005050502t.htm
(Subscription Required)

"A French-led project to establish a digital library of European literary and cultural works -- begun in response to a U.S.-based library project led by Google -- was endorsed this week by key European Union figures."