In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <ofrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:17:16 -0400

Copyright & Moral Rights: Copyright is an area which is governed by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988.
By Association of Illustrators, Creative Match.com, Wed 18 May 2005
http://www.creativematch.co.uk/viewNews/?91008

"Copyright is an area which is governed by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988. When you create a collage, painting, drawing, diagram, map, chart, plan, engraving, etching, lithograph, woodcut or similar work, you have created an artistic work and that is protected by copyright, provided that your illustrations fall into any one of these categories."
------

You've got lawsuit: Father sued for teen's downloads
By MEGAN TWOHEY, JSonline, May 15, 2005
http://www.jsonline.com/news/racine/may05/326357.asp

"Dave Bink was shocked when he learned last month that he was being sued by the recording industry for the downloading of hundreds of songs, including "All You Wanted" by Michelle Branch, "Eat You Alive" by Limp Bizkit and "U Don't Have to Call" by Usher."
---------

Adobe to Shut Down Digital Media Store
By Robyn Weisman, PDF Zone, May 11, 2005
http://www.pdfzone.com/article2/0,1759,1815262,00.asp

"Without any fanfare, the Adobe Digital Media Store, which was set up to showcase the versatility of the PDF format, will cease operations on June 3, 2005. According to its Web page, users no longer are able to purchase digital content, although they may download already purchased content and redeem gift certificates before the June closing date."
-------

St. Lawrence Univ. Abuses Copyright Law to Determine Identity of Anonymous Bloggers
Posted by Ernest Miller, Corante.com, May 13, 2005
http://www.corante.com/copyfight/archives/2005/05/13/st_lawrence_univ_abuses_copyright_law_to_determine_identity_of_anonymous_bloggers.php

"According to Inside Higher Ed, St. Lawrence University (Founded April 3, 1856; oldest continuously coeducational institution of higher learning in New York State) has, in a stunning blow against freedom of speech, launched a lawsuit to determine the identities of a group of anonymous bloggers critical of the school (Cloaked in Cyberspace)."
------

Press Release: Copyright Quick Tag Now Available Posted May 13, 2005
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleReader.aspx?ArticleID=7990

"Data Depth Corporation, (iCopyright.net) has announced the release of Copyright Quick Tag. Designed for writers, bloggers, photographers, and other self-publishers, Copyright Quick Tag provides an interactive copyright notice that can be affixed to works of authorship."
----

Bricklin on DVD: Good software copyright primer for enterprises
Posted by David Berlind, ZDnet Blogs, 5/12/2005
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=1373

"Normally, when PC-industry pioneer Dan Bricklin comes out with a new product, you can download it or get it on a CD. Not this time. Instead of publishing some new innovative software (as were so accustomed to seeing him do), he has published a video of himself discussing basics of software licensing  one that spends a considerable amount of time on open source. The title of the video is A Developers Introduction to Copyright and Open Source."
-------

How piracy is entrenched in Pakistan
By Aamer Ahmed Khan, BBC News, Karachi
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4523089.stm

"Increased international pressure seems to be forcing the Pakistani authorities into taking action against piracy and copyright violations."
------

What Would You Ask For in Copyright Law?
By Cliff , Slashdot.com, May 10, 2005
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/10/205226

"BlastM asks: "The Australian Attorney General's Department, as reported recently on Slashdot, is accepting public input in a review of fair use exceptions (or lack thereof) in our copyright laws."
-------

Steve Jobs, Let my Music Go
By Hilary Rosen, TheHuffingtonPost.com, 05.09.2005
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/theblog/archive/2005/05/steve-jobs-let-.html

"The new iPod my girlfriend gave me is a trap. Yeah, it is great looking and I really love the baby blue leather case but when, oh when, will Steve Jobs let me buy music from somewhere other than the Apple iTunes store and put it on my iPod?"