Harvard Business school position on direct links to case studies

Subject: Harvard Business school position on direct links to case studies
From: "Gjelten, Daniel R." <DRGJELTEN@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:04:31 -0500
A question for readers in higher education:  Has anyone received this
message from Harvard regarding the use of direct links to their case studies
from course pages?  Any thoughts?

To our colleagues in the academic community:

Harvard Business School Publishing has received an increasing number of
inquiries about posting our content on library "e-reserves" and course
platforms. This short note is intended to clarify our policy toward digital
content delivery, and provide you with a set of guidelines to follow.

Harvard Business School Publishing distributes Harvard Business School
Cases,
articles from the Harvard Business Review and our family of newsletters, and

books from the Harvard Business School Press for use in MBA and
undergraduate
courses in universities worldwide. It is our aim to provide our content to
students and instructors in the format they find most useful and convenient,

whether that is hard copy from our presses, locally reproduced copies, or
digitized files for downloading.

We do not permit the posting of our cases, articles, or chapters on
"e-reserve"
course pages for student access, nor in "electronic coursepacks" that link
our digitized content, nor on course management systems such as WebCT or
Blackboard, unless doing so via our Course Planning system. Such
unauthorized
postings are equivalent to distributing our copyrighted content to students,
and
doing so without our permission infringes that copyright. This is so even if
the
content is being used for the first time and is password-protected,
accessible
only to students in the course, and taken down at the end of the course.
Please
do not post or display HBSP content in this way. Using our Course Planning
tool
is every bit as easy and functional.

Clearances for your coursepacks can be obtained from your institution's
copyright permissions coordinator.

See more information on our Course Planning tool on our web site:
http://hbsp.ed10.net/t/OR848/B5J1J/9A/K4WM8
<http://hbsp.ed10.net/t/OR848/B5J1J/9A/K4WM8>

For other questions, please contact our academic customer service team at
mailto:custserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:custserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  or
800-545-7685 (Outside the U.S. and Canada 617-783-7600).

Dan Gjelten
Director, University Libraries                      voice: 651-962-5005
University of St. Thomas                                fax: 651-962-5008

2115 Summit Avenue                              drgjelten@xxxxxxxxxxxx
St. Paul, MN  55105