In The News

Subject: In The News
From: "Olga Francois" <OFrancois@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:25:59 -0500

Libraries and Publishers Create 'Dark Archive' to Provide Backup Copies
of Electronic Journals
By VINCENT KIERNAN, Chronicle.com,  January 25, 2006
http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/01/2006012502t.htm
(Registration Required)

"A coalition of journal publishers and university libraries is starting
an experimental archive of online journals that will be held in reserve
in case a journal's publisher goes out of business or is otherwise
unable to continue providing online access to its journals."
------

Perspective:  Can video iPod lead to DMCA reform?
By Declan McCullagh, CNET.com, January 23, 2006
http://news.com.com/Can+video+iPod+lead+to+DMCA+reform/2010-1028_3-60296
11.html?tag=alert

"Apple Computer's video iPod may not be the first portable movie player,
but it is by far the best."
------

File-sharing 'not cut by courts'
By BBCNews, 20 January 2006

"Global court action against music file-sharers has not reduced illegal
downloading, an industry report says."
-----

TVMyPod ventures into copyright gray area
By Reuters, CNET.com, January 20, 2006
http://news.com.com/TVMyPod+ventures+into+copyright+gray+area/2100-1041_
3-6029059.html?tag=alert

"A tiny Massachusetts company named TVMyPod is selling iPods that come
with movies and TV programs already loaded on them, a practice that
raises questions of legality as it addresses consumer demand for
convenience and portability."
-----

Students Threaten to Sue a Defunct Peer-to-Peer Service, Accusing It of
Driving Them to Piracy
By BROCK READ, Chronicle.com, January 19, 2006
http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/01/2006011901t.htm
(Registration Required)

"Several dozen college students who have been sued by the recording
industry for sharing copyrighted music have adopted a novel defense:
Their peer-to-peer service tricked them into breaking the law, they
argue."
-----

Blogs: That old copyright song
http://weblog.burningbird.net/2006/01/18/that-old-copyright-song/
My cable connection started working without problems yesterday, just in
time for me to attempt to connect using DSL later today. I've also been
attempting to take photos of the bald eagles wintering in our area, but
have run into interesting complications, which I'll write about later."
*
Blogs: Burningbird on That Old Copyright Song
http://www.corante.com/betweenlawyers/archives/2006/01/18/burningbird_on
_that_old_copyright_song.php
Shelley "Burningbird" Powers in her post called "That Old Copyright
Song" is asking all the right questions about how full text RSS feeds
may be "repurposed" by other sites and whether and to what extent the
copyright rules limit this usage or even apply in this context."
------

New open-source license targets DRM, Hollywood
By Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com, January 18, 2006
http://news.com.com/New+open-source+license+targets+DRM%2C+Hollywood/210
0-7344_3-6028284.html?tag=alert

"update CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--The new version of the most widely used
open-source license takes a "highly aggressive" stance against the
digital rights management software that's widely favored in the
entertainment industry, said Eben Moglen, general counsel for the Free
Software Foundation."
-----

From: BNA
COURT RULES GOOGLE CACHE CONSTITUTES FAIR USE A federal district court
in Nevada has ruled that the Google Cache feature does not infringe U.S.
copyright law. The ruling clarifies the legal status of several common
search engine practices and could influence future court cases,
including the lawsuits brought by book publishers against the Google
Library Project. Case name is Field v. Google.
Decision at
http://www.eff.org/IP/blake_v_google/google_nevada_order.pdf