Tools for protecting files

Subject: Tools for protecting files
From: "Julia Perhac" <jperhac@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 13:00:23 -0800
My faculty are interested in finding a tool, or set of tools, that could
be used to protect the files that they make available to students.
PowerPoint format is of the most concern, but protections for Word and
other files would also be needed.

SecurePak has been evaluated and will not meet our needs.

Among the features we are looking for:

X      Allow compression of files

X      Accommodate different types of files, i.e. file protection needs
are not limited to PowerPoint

X      Preserve slide show features, e.g. animation

X      Prevent downloading or altering by users

X      Allow printing of limited number of copies by users

X      Prevent mass printing of limited copies by a user which could be
construed as publishing copyrighted materials

X      Disallow unlocking by a user who privately owns the same tool
and might backdoor access past protections

X      Disallow screen shot saving

Thank-you for any input you can provide.

Julia A. Perhac
Director of MIS
Touro University - California
Phone:  707 638-5425