Re: Filming Copyrighted Works for Promotional Video

Subject: Re: Filming Copyrighted Works for Promotional Video
From: "Bisola Osho" <bisolaosho@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 14:50:23 -0500
Sarah,

I would second what John said that it is better to get permission. Looking at
this vaguely, the use is not transformative but beneficial to your
organization (see American Geophysical Union v. Texaco) and one of the
purposes is to raise money which is a commercial use as opposed to a non
commercial use. This evidently is not in the museum's favor.

Another fair use factor to consider is the amount and substantiality of the
portion used in relation to the copyrighted work. This is considered both
qualitatively and quantitatively. If what is taken is the heart of the work
even though it is small, the use will not be taken as fair.

As to the online project, it will amount to unlawful copying and distributing
of copyrighted work.

Bisola Osho
Cardozo School of Law (LLM 2006)