Re: Response to Sara Hindmarch

Subject: Re: Response to Sara Hindmarch
From: Amalyah Keshet <akeshet@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:26:17 +0200
I have been following this discussion with interest. I would like to put in a word, not just for Fair Use, but for common sense.

Hypothetical: I want to make a video of my home, in order to promote my talents as an amateur interior decorator. I happen to collect local contemporary art. I cannot "shoot" my home without the works of art on my walls appearing in the video. They are there, like the furniture and the refrigerator. Can't avoid them. I'm not shooting them specifially, not "using" them in the video to illustrate anything -- they are simply part of my home. The idea that I might have to seek permission from the artists sounds crazy, doesn't it? If I were to approach one and ask, they would probably think I'm out of my mind. Likewise, it doesn't even occur to me that I have to seek the permission of the trademark holder for the brand of refrigerator I own.

Not hypothetical (speaking from experience): Let's say I'm a museum. Our mission as a respository of cultural heritage is to promote what we have to offer to the citizens of our city or country, in order to ensure that our society takes advantage of what we preserve and display. If I cannot freely photograph our galleries because they contain artists' works, something here doesn't make sense. If I approach an artist and ask permission for such "incidental" reproduction of their works in our collection, they think we're weird. What possible motivation would they have for denying "permission"? Of course they want the world to know that their work is on our walls. That's what it's here for. Reproducing it on a greeting card or t-shirt is another matter, of course, but the fact that the work was hanging on the museum's wall the day the shot was taken? The only complaint they'll have is that it's reproduced too small, or not often enough.

The idea that a cultural repository may not illustrate to its constituency "this is who we are, this is what we have" without the burden of copyright permissions is worrying. We have a similar conumdrum when it comes to fulfilling what is now considered a sine qua non for a cultural repository - the provision of an on-line database of its collections. The assumption that this is a basic service is not, needless to say, accompanied by the assumption that someone has to fund it. The idea that a museum has to pay each artist a copyright permission fee in order to show a thumbnail image of his work in it's collections database (of 100,000 works), so that the world can know that the work exists and where -- is a bit over the top. It's like my charging the government for "publicity rights" when they want to reproduce my face on a driver's license.

Well, that should be sufficient provocation for one morning.

Amalyah Keshet
Head of Image Resources & Copyright Management
The Israel Museum, Jerusalem
akeshet@xxxxxxxxxx

________________________________

From: Harper, Georgia [mailto:GHARPER@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Fri 2/10/2006 2:27 PM To: digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Response to Sara Hindmarch

Sara:

There are cases on the issue of what constitutes incidental use (which is a fair use), and you can be pointed to them, but the real issue is going to be risk tolerance. See the discussion of this very type of circumstance in Lessig's Free Culture, Chapter 7, pp. 95 - 99 (available online under a Creative Commons license, for free -- http://www.free-culture.cc/freeculture.pdf).

Before you commit to getting permission for 2, or at most 5 seconds of a
work of art on display in a public museum as a camera pans the gallery
space, please read the recently completed Documentary Filmmakers' Best
Practices in Fair Use at
http://www.centerforsocialmedia.org/rock/backgrounddocs/bestpractices.pdf

The subject matter (documentary films) isn't precisely your subject matter, but the concepts are broadly applicable to creative uses of other's materials. The culture of narrowly defining fair use (including narrowly defining each of its 4 factors), of getting permission for every single use no matter how incidental, no matter how small, no matter how insignificant, in both nonprofit and commercial filmmaking, is not without its societal cost (above and beyond the cost to the person seeking permission). Please have a look and then think about it.

Risk tolerance has a role to play in creative endeavors - even if they
directly or indirectly raise revenues.

Georgia Harper

Georgia Harper Univ. of Tx. System Office of General Counsel gharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx 512/499-4462