Re: Filming Copyrighted Works for Promotional Video

Subject: Re: Filming Copyrighted Works for Promotional Video
From: Bill Westwood <westwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:30:43 -0500
Sarah,

As a practicing (over 25 years) commercial illustrator and fine artist,
instructor and lecturer on copyright for artists, I believe that a solution
to your dilemma is have a staff member(s) get on the phone and contact every
artist whose work appears in the video. Honestly explain the situation and
and usage and ask for their permission - with assurances that they will be
given prominent name credit in the film credits.

Based on my experience with this sort of situation, I will wager that every
artist contacted will grant you permission. Why, because the promotional/ego
value of having one's work appear (with name credit) in a vehicle of this
type, trumps the potentially small usage remuneration possible for a two to
five second appearance.  Most people - even artists - will respond favorably
to something the perceive as beneficial to themselves, if simply asked.
You can be guaranteed a negative response and copyright infringement
saber-rattling, if they are not asked and find out later.

After the calls, follow up immediately with a permission form (and not an
abusive sounding one) faxed or sent overnight to each artist for a signature
with a prepaid overnight return.

All that said, I agree with the other respondents that this falls outside of
fair use and puts the film makers at risk for infringement if the rights of
the artists are simply ignored.

Good luck,

Bill Westwood

--
William B. Westwood, M.S.
Board Certified Medical Illustrator

p(518) 432-5237
f(518) 432-7106

Take a minute and visit my website at http://westwoodmedical.com and
remember.......
For Great Medical Art, There's WESTWOOD and There's The Rest