RE: Pre-service Teachers and Educational Fair Use

Subject: RE: Pre-service Teachers and Educational Fair Use
From: "Barbara Waxer" <bwaxer1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 10:48:22 -0700
Generally, you are quite correct, but I would emphasize a few points:
1. While a Web site's terms of use are useful as a general guide, they do
not trump a proper fair use analysis. (Plus, terms are often unclear. For
example how do we know what a Web owner means when they state "educational
use?" For students, faculty, both, just one?)
2. The proposed multimedia guidelines for teachers and students are only
proposed minimums; fair use analysis may provide the right to use more of a
work.
3. How does fair use jive with your university's copyright policy. That
would trump fair use, because now both faculty and grad students are in a
situation where they are reliant on what their administrations will support
(defend).
4. Grad students who will publish or create a multi-media work need to pay
special attention to model releases. If the university cannot indemnify a
work because the permissions are lacking, ya got a big problem. (I know of
two situations where a grad student's documentary sparked cable tv interest,
but the universities couldn't indemnify because the students blew off
permissions.)

Barbara Waxer
Author of Internet Surf and Turf: The Essential Guide to Copyright, Fair
Use, and Finding Media
and
Copyright and the Internet
www.course.com