Orphan Works program at ALA Annual, June 24

Subject: Orphan Works program at ALA Annual, June 24
From: "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:38:46 -0500
Crossposting; apologies for duplication. This is an announcement of a program taking place at the American Library Association Annual Conference in Washington D.C. on Sunday, June 24, 2007.

On behalf of the LITA Technology and Access Committee, The ALA OITP Copyright Advisory Subcommittee and the LITA Legislative and Regulatory Committee, I'd like to invite you to attend Legal Challenges to Digitization Projects: Adopting Orphan Works.

This program is scheduled for Sunday, June 24, 10:30 am - 12:00 pm and will take place at the Renaissance Mayflower Colonial Room.

The speakers are:

Denise Troll Covey, Principal Librarian for Special Projects, Carnegie Mellon University, <http://www.library.cmu.edu/People/troll/TrollWebSite.html>http://www.library.cmu.edu/People/troll/TrollWebSite.html

Peter B. Hirtle, Intellectual Property Officer and Technology Strategist, Cornell University Library, <http://tinyurl.com/7338b>Adopting "Orphan Works". RLG DigiNews. April 15, 2005

Douglas Knox, Interim Director, Dr. William M. Scholl Center for Family and Community History, the Newberry Library. Doug is the Managing editor of the University of Chicago Press's The Encyclopedia of Chicago.

Miriam M. Nisbet, ALA Legislative Counsel. Miriam recently spoke at the 7th Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property at the Center for Intellectual Property and Copyright in the Digital Environment, University of Maryland University College.

Orphan works remain one of the legislative hot topics of the year. We hope that you will join us for this discussion of the status of the issue and how some institutions have managed to get their copyright orphans adopted.

Beatrice Nichols, Chair LITA Technology and Access Committee Systems Librarian, Eckerd College -- Beatrice F. Nichols Circulation/Reference/Systems Librarian Eckerd College Library St. Petersburg, Florida

Celebrate failure! It's a critical element of learning. ~ Annamaria Profit

M. Claire Stewart
Acting Head, Marjorie I. Mitchell Multimedia Center
Coordinator of Digitization Projects, Northwestern University Library
(847) 467-1437
claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://hdl.handle.net/2166/claire
http://copyrightreadings.blogspot.com