Re: COPYRIGHT OFFICE LAUNCHES WEBSITE FOR KIDS

Subject: Re: COPYRIGHT OFFICE LAUNCHES WEBSITE FOR KIDS
From: "Jack Boeve" <JBoeve@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:41:38 -0400
[On behalf of John Mitchell]

-----Original Message-----
From: John Mitchell [mailto:john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 1:35 PM
To: Jason Griffey
Cc: digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I must agree with Jason on this. There is plenty of non-infringing
plagiarism.

Also, I disagree that kids do not need to know "HOW" to copyright
something (whether by that you mean needing to know that works are
copyrighted when created or how to register them). Just the other day, I
saw a local TV broadcast proudly displaying the copyrighted paintings of
children in a local school, and doubt anyone gave a second thought to
the children's exclusive right to display their works publicly. Some of
my best work was done in high school. Some of my daughter's best work
(poetry) was done in elementary school.

(Turning to plagiarism, the greatest emotional scar I carry from high
school stemmed from a false accusation of plagiarism AND infringement. I
recall creating a deep, thoughtful poem for a homework assignment. I
poured my soul into it. Classmates marveled at it. The teacher accused
me of plagiarism, demanded to know where I had copied it from, and
refused to return it to me, saying he would keep it until he found the
source from which I had copied it. That was the only copy I had, and it
is lost forever, along with my desire to write poetry. I'm sure
plagiarism happens, but when there is any doubt, better to err on the
side of freedom of expression.)

John