Orphan works: due diligence prior to copying

Subject: Orphan works: due diligence prior to copying
From: "M. Claire Stewart" <claire-stewart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:34:01 -0600
Hello,

This question has come up twice in different contexts over the past month, so I thought I'd ask the list:

I'm looking for a set of procedures that a library would follow in attempting to secure permission to copy before making a decision that the work is likely an orphan. Does anyone have anything to recommend? I'm already aware of Denise Troll Covey's excellent CLIR publication on securing permissions for digitizing books, but would love to have other examples, articles, etc.

With thanks,
Claire
M. Claire Stewart
Head, Digital Collections