RE: Orphan works: due diligence prior to copying

Subject: RE: Orphan works: due diligence prior to copying
From: "Harper, Georgia K" <gharper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:59:04 -0600
Claire, this is precisely what all of us should be working to create and
publish to the Web -- our own estimates of what we think, for different
kinds of works, constitutes a reasonable search. Librarians are in an
excellent position to know what resources are out there and what
resources are reasonably effective, which are a waste of time, etc.

What we *really* need is a collection of such estimates, but I suppose a
google search is as good as it's likely to get: something like, "what is
reasonable search copyright owner." I did that and got a lot of
interesting things, but no definition of a reasonable search in any
medium (for any type of work). Let's get busy!!

Georgia Harper
Scholarly Communications Advisor
University of Texas at Austin Libraries
512.495.4653; 512.971.4325 (c)