News from the Center for Intellectual Property

Subject: News from the Center for Intellectual Property
From: Center for Intellectual Property <cip@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:03:01 -0400 (EDT)
News & Notes  Newsletter of the CIP

Autumn 2008
in this issue

:: Mass Digitization and Copyright Law, Policy and Practice
:: HEA Reauthorization Set to Become Law with Modified File Sharing
Provisions
:: Executive Director's Corner
:: Copyright Monopoly: (Re-)Playing the innovation game
:: 2008-2009 Online Workshops: Registration Now Open!
:: Collectanea Blog...Rolling Along
:: Collected Standards of Practice in Copyright Management

Mass Digitization and Copyright Law, Policy and Practice

by Georgia K. Harper, I.P. Scholar
In the fall of 2007 I took a class at the
University of Texas on Internet research
methods. I decided to study whether legal
blogging could be scholarship. Among other
work on the subject, I documented my own
effort to "blog the first draft" of a legal
research article by posting each section of
the article, as I wrote it, on a blog with
the hope of soliciting comments and
suggestions. What you are about to read is
not the result of the blogging research study
(available on the Copyright
Crash Course site
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AXFB1OF62-SSdpFc8Hgs8NwquwHsQRIQXDV1mZM
JREvEO0Bj8duvmX81nywqdm6IyFmtrKSdsot5fLnPi7PmHsR0EBNh6B1XCfrnvML1Apd7i616mcAZ
f6q3Jbdx0BmgjKzR9ZNk8aZA==)),
but rather, the legal article that I began,
section by section, on the blog. While I did
indeed learn a lot about blogs, blogging and
scholarship, I suppose my deeper interest in
copyright law and mass digitization projects
encouraged me to refine the paper, rather
than the blogging research project. I was
fortunate to have the opportunity to present
the paper in May at the CIP's Annual
Copyright Symposium, and continue to receive
invitations to talk on this important subject
both here and abroad!The trends that you will read about in the
paper are continuing this summer: the 2008
Orphan Works bills introduced in the House
and Senate have gone nowhere as legislative
stalemate continues to rule; one can now
watch nearly every television show on the
Internet; OCLC has launched its Copyright
Registry to gather and display in one place
evidence about copyright status and
ownership; the Center for Social Media rolled
out another set of Best Practices to
reinvigorate the stagnant fair use of
legislative and executive-backed "stakeholder
negotiations;"  and more and more
digitization projects make their appearances
on the Web, adding to the pressure that
locked-down content providers must feel to
free up access to and use of their materials
if they wish to compete for our limited time
and attention.No copyright story is ever over, and this one
will continue to evolve and change. I hope
you enjoy reading about my take on the state
of affairs related to mass digitization
projects and copyright law in summer, 2008.

Read Georgia's full paper
here...
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CZPY5DhiFKkt8xMR-biD7K8yWjuFNZgOF4raFUM
eonCE8c8rGXLc-Yy2BflMAS077EMZJOnPBJntWjvdWYg3X4VoCppZeke8ZvTxouzFvf4jNcbgEK8J
QuQuGmKI7JVpfzA0Volc72VexTFsQQ0AWyO8NmGoVJEnYNyiWYWAGtkgPZxnBxxPNT)Georgia K.
Harper
 (http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CszHLo--UWW1geID7JbpauE-Oqri7KflMdlk9b
u7soT8tYmV4c2PNJwLjsA1uNM1yiTMGvYwKAG0x7V-OV3_XcPeFsePDnLB_cLCSbPKzmhx63Y6BNs
3YRNlwNbRyrm-CyZwPvRpGx0sAiUoWvcaTMz_Z9Xkti4cY=)is
the Scholarly
Communications
Advisor for the University of Texas at Austin
Libraries,
where she focuses on issues of digital
access. She
was Senior Attorney and manager of the
Intellectual
Property Section of the Office of General
Counsel for
the University of Texas System until August
2006,
where she specialized in copyright law. Ms.
Harper is
also the 2006-2008 IP Scholar at the Center for
Intellectual Property.

HEA Reauthorization Set to Become Law with Modified File Sharing Provisions

Up on the Hill with Kenneth Salomon & Matthew Johnson

President Bush on August 14 signed into law
the Higher Education Opportunity Act (the
HEOA), culminating a multiple year process of
reauthorizing the Higher Education Act of
1965.  The HEOA contains a controversial
provision (Section 493) to address illegal
peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing on university
campuses  The text of the new law is
available here
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79B8NMNlRsWBixZ0eZC_efwqoKxcO4xzrSj3eZAds
DgooJ2q_1zSi77PoSLpXVKraJtzGodOWpDTA2Zm0he2pWzfirLRU4uelkaBarzDHIs9sJ-rRQP485
mmbZzHxtElS73ZesW79STeQPhUPOu-ubvKJXDFRj1gVrKuJ-24vJo8srMiE8f9rjmfU7-LGWkQCwg
Ao-3aaA0wvnltN22MuX_Q)
(from the GPO).

The HEOA imposes two significant
responsibilities on institutions with the
intent to reduce illegal file sharing on
campus Internet networks.  First,
institutions are required to "certify" that
they have developed technology-based plans to
"combat the unauthorized distribution of
copyright material."  Second, they are
required to "offer alternatives" to illegal
file sharing or P2P distributions "to the
extent practicable."  Pages 115-117 of the
Conference Committee report that released
with HR 4137 clarifies what Congress intended
by these requirements.  The report is
available here
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CBogcRky-LaJyUpvSv4l7Nq5-l8U82LQZdLHljp
-_ZKpGnT5lPys4NYhPxlKOa8Gj86z6PSkIRA8cLc5dI6HyqzRZibIx1BzLeyGe8RQ4a_Rx6wMrV97
2sWW6UhvCAvOfB-391g5yzAKiVAyRTW5kdv5vgDd4dPzY=)
(from the U.S. Senate).  MPAA plans to send
information booklets to
universities suggesting ways to comply with
the bill's requirements.  More significantly,
Educause, ACE, NASULGC and AAU have published
a memorandum
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BY9jKV4DcRGXSTVApvtTkI1v_umJqMziNWfM1JC
UwU9JXnYgqwebPhGaAPItHps75sivifU-BbYkGSy38gxXzI05F35Am8hsri-8uKTTx9CnsUIgurty
BxAxNkqpiWOUdYDqh4GW6rVx1Wqjmc44lO)
summarizing the requirements of the P2P
provisions, what will happen next and what
institutions should be doing now.Read the full update on the
HEOA and its implications for higher
education...
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BX3fgPGYSBrmXgpTS2JvSH2pHObuO6dkugwBRlo
qBcB9_B7hJhnRMOG_d4Sc04HRaRZYBkH3-u1UYHA2tYdaY4_OBFyeppX9mcm9_nx4cUK29Ti-h2ku
O7w2E47CHQzCryVhN3sOzabn6EZpxJvbdFzKjw25OXTGeDxZ4116Vlew==)Attorney
Kenneth
Salomon
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CbE6t-FQMil6BZfy6fGMr7CurtjYofybdE1BkGS
s8_G4HlpbKWR01AX_PKtyCctQZlwYHoCRUfDuDVEYmhwiNE5FbtNk8RZ_TH-NW7R23Hw2xlJjozEq
W0) is a Member of Dow Lohnes and
head of the firm's Government Relations
Practice Group. He also serves as the
Chairman of Dow Lohnes Government Strategies
LLC. Mr.
Salomon's decades of
practice have focused on such areas as
communications, government relations and
legislation, intellectual property, mass
media, and post-secondary education.
Matthew Johnson  was a 2008  Summer
Associate with Dow Lohnes, PLLC, and is a
third year law student at The George
Washington University Law School.

Executive Director's Corner

by Kimberly M. Bonner

Moving Forward

The Center for Intellectual Property had a
great year in 2008.  Our workshops and
symposium were incredibly successful.
Copyright and academic integrity experts
taught a variety of professional development
courses and participants gave them rave
reviews.  For those of you who were not able
to attend the 2008 Copyright Symposium, I
encourage you to visit the Symposium Archives
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79ACLB6bn7VLM9QrdxQJ7PEz5QaNnBiDepuxrifYK
ehXeW3_xrcitf8Kb26xtMJTlFeZ3IOGNo5-lB4uttvlHHqXzzF-3-HYdfTKuAmdxRsbnmSW3TULZc
RmlEwLJQ1hpOxayxpRzle3ZcnlPlGXYmTSmXD_5NudnmwchHIgHxxDKCCXswtZfHZrj7hXJEX2Gnw
=).As the Center for Intellectual Property
prepares for a new season, we wanted to share
with you several exciting developments that
will certainly advance the Center in future
years.  In the fall of 2007, the Center for
Intellectual Property convened a Board of
Advisors that is comprised of outstanding
leaders in the library, law, information
technology, higher education and publishing
communities.   We are honored to work with
the following members of the CIP Board of
Advisors:

* Tracey L. Armstrong, President and CEO,
Copyright Clearance Center

* Marie A. Cini, Vice Provost and Dean,
School of Undergraduate Studies, UMUC

* Micheal S. Frank, Vice Provost and Dean,
Graduate School of Management and Technology,
UMUC

* Georgia K. Harper, CIP IP Scholar;
Scholarly Communications Advisor, University
of Texas, Austin

* William E. Kirwan, Chancellor, University
System of Maryland

* Laurence Roth, Vice President,
Marketing/Business Development, Cinea,
Inc.

* Kenneth D. Salomon, Member, Dow Lohnes,
PLLC

* Emily Sheketoff, Associate Executive
Director, American Library Association

* Greg von Lehmen, Senior Vice Provost for
Academic Affairs, UMUC

* Steven L. Worona, Director, Policy and
Networking Programs EDUCAUSE

The CIP Board of Advisors helped spearhead
the development of a strategic planning
process. And we would like to share some of
the new directions and programming
developments that are part of this strategic
initiative.

The CIP plans to increase the types of
collaborations and partnerships during this
new season.  Although the CIP will maintain
the IP Scholar collaboration, we hope to
expand that collaboration to include not only
one person, but possibly groups of scholars
that can assist CIP's constituents.

The CIP is investigating becoming a
member-based organization.  Although all
aspects of this are not final, the CIP
anticipates unveiling a new structure and new
services in 2009.

The CIP is expanding the type and number of
its educational offerings.  For example, this
year, we will offer seven (7) online
workshops.  This summer, we will provide an
online brown bag series utilizing platforms
like Second Life and/or Wimba to provide both
synchronous and asynchronous professional
development programming. The list of new
online workshops is detailed in this
Newsletter.  I encourage you to sign-up
for them
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79A9HdW_8Nt4fomByadJYrBFUf18T81GKa6kU8T4k
tCtWlEBSKEAOMBxKJF5r77AaTtT7w2dkWzm0SefSEYduv5stDyJerWOJYE34bCQk84NTg==).

Probably the biggest shift in our programming
is related to the CIP symposium.  In order to
enhance the CIP symposium, the symposium will
be offered on a biannual basis. The
additional time in the development of the
symposium will add to the depth, breadth and
overall quality of the symposium for attendees.

Please keep watching the CIP website in the
coming months and review this Newsletter in
Winter/Spring for more information about
additional offerings and developments with
CIP's programming and structure.

We hope to be the premier copyright resource
center in higher education.  Thanks for your
continued support.

Copyright Monopoly: (Re-)Playing the innovation game

A Fast-Action Replay of the 2008 Symposium, By Jack Boeve

Since 2001, the Center for Intellectual
Property has convened librarians, educators,
and those from many other disciplines
concerned with the legal and ethical use of
copyrighted information in the arena of
higher education for an annual symposium.

The Eighth Annual Symposium on Intellectual
Property, held May 28-30, 2008, continued the
tradition of offering current thinking and
perspectives on contemporary copyright issues
from a spectrum of leaders in the field,
engaging discussions on a range of topics,
and resources to equip information
professionals for their responsibilities on
campuses and in their organizations.The 2008 symposium was special because
the
program was presented in three venues this
year: face-to-face at UMUC, online live to
our nationwide webcast audience, and in-world
in Second Life.!
In keeping with the
innovation theme of this year's program, CIP
was pleased and excited to experiment with an
educational program in SL's creative, dynamic
virtual world.
Avatars from across the U.S.
and abroad gathered in the New Media
Consortium's (NMC) Conference Center in SL
and participated in the keynote and panelist
sessions, as well as in four roundtable
discussions. Participants in both Second
Life. and the face-to-face program enjoyed
and benefited from the multiple connections
between the conference centers in the two
worlds made possible by the technological
bridge, thanks to the outstanding cooperative
services of NMC
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BQ0oK0dTqWrGpM3bQMadhmAAr8cuXpuZi_v-o2Z
6Dh7HjvWpUkSKdD_Gh-5v9VdthZXs8g8z_VUUOdiQksdmPqGZNafewTAK8=) and UMUC's own
Laddie
Odom, who managed many of the complexities of
streaming the program into SL.

Read and view more from the
symposium...
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DU2qRq2NZ8cNUuLrjrftnDpngr8kHu5c9MByaiS
drXmBW-E-JrjlfMnydFJ9XaCB0TjlpY5j8r6sDaxxvgv-Q8PZ_pibok5E9UioqK2dGjOm77Xj1Ide
aEB0JjxWrPlq0B13_cEZrdxKxs9Qd4WUNPtu9q9dzILzgT5Mb7h22hnemmpCvKzdGv)

2008-2009 Online Workshops: Registration Now Open!

New & Expanded Offerings

Since 1999, the CIP has offered the
Intellectual Property in Academia online
workshops, a series of  asynchronous
educational programs designed
to meet the needs of information
professionals, librarians, faculty,
university counsel, and instructional
designers.

The topics and workshop moderators for the
2008-2009 series will provide participants
with an understanding of select intellectual
property issues facing higher education in
today's
digital environment of rapid and volatile
change.

One indicator of change and of the needs in
higher education is that the Center is
offering an expanded slate of workshops this
year to assist individuals and institutions
to manage the changes brought on by our
digital environment.

The moderators for this series include
copyright scholars and practitioners who have
studied the laws, issues, and trends and who
are able to ask thoughtful questions
alongside of providing candid perspectives
and helpful insights.

Be sure to visit the workshop website
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79A9HdW_8Nt4fomByadJYrBFUf18T81GKa6kU8T4k
tCtWlEBSKEAOMBxKJF5r77AaTtT7w2dkWzm0SefSEYduv5stDyJerWOJYE34bCQk84NTg==) for
all the details, including full descriptions
and goals, moderator bios, and special
package pricing! Fall 2008

* Copyright Law and Integrated
Access to Digital Course Materials
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AvCApZLn4AMh1DFhdcbFBMFkg0ASbxiatodbv2h
0-khQTUucDnKOO3nvidlWBwXSuu3cRA5_Cb5tNAILjxQcSvkwsViwy4IvQZZOovBI-0ok1p4SadEa
U_QCrjcFeufOCaauAOYn-JRFJoaVgVPKs6kDckowo5Em4=):
Blackboard/WebCT, Coursepacks, e-Reserves,
Licensed Materials, e-Books, Open Access

* Moderator: Georgia Harper
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AQui4dVt1xYnKx4ikM0LhMK8rb_X2wy04pCdWjH
kGzAAEQt5LVb1kFkdQhHgZelTbWt-ajMn7-pM-JBX7-y3lNeJiHRSOKmpNERh-jsHquVOzF_qIK53
BqG0Kf2cOyD5BSf1sB484ZCqerAe2Vj4Iu)

* October 27-November 7,
2008

workshop will explore how an
integrated approach to the various methods
our campuses use to provide access to digital
educational course materials can facilitate
institutional compliance with copyright
law. </blockquote>

* The Section 108
Study
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CVqtQluLT5MxXdAq2a_nWwHzfkHcuev-sByJEyx
Be6Pg9MWY3BxHWbhuHFHs4kMUsbNqbgSYX685yILsSRmG6o7ahluVuvku959Qp37Ovp1H1ElcBIHw
wr8Q_K-GjmzVs4naWktVoYTpXVj7cD0WKB)

* Moderator: Laura Gasaway
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79B-6tqVyguyfH8r6SggeMCFKFkHzmB9OXGdJbZDy
o8jA2Yq-fNYbRLK1OZjAHcfejX6YkXQUteBWtLhEghhTVurXcJvhgVqLZjOCrFYaNt1UPHAp37HNH
gRGIGRhNHtmQ4r1jYQtv6fmp6AWNW7gs8P)

* November 10-20, 2008

the scoop from a copyright expert and
co-chair of the Section 108 Study Group on
the Study Group's 2008 report and
recommendations on exceptions to copyright
law intended to address the balance between
the rights of creators and copyright owners
and the needs of libraries, archives, and
museums as they seek to fulfill their
missions in the digital environment.

Spring 2009

* Orphan Works
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79A-oIJB7nzq_PajGxK81o25iSpeCKsTHza1NgB4O
I-v4fgLxeIuPhen_gJoenIISGE9sEKe982kFJS4vjwNetRT0D7QyQ9Z8myha27dk33S4qPVaTn0Mr
1UbrNN0hgoM7dqGXf5hD5sf7xJ_jIMAoo8)

* Moderator: Gigi Sohn
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DoiFVOHLODP7hwLxIG8Q0m8oa4CuCBG2_F3LlYj
gQPrVEFVM_uuVP9NnOp8mhvZ1xQADS8p5KxtAem_8_9HmYQ9ny6VqVBY8ysykodQFIOWn9xBEv8T6
_yCgx7VRcSSJ-5TsEvVRSlK33ztFQ75T5M)

* January 19-30, 2009

you interested in using copyrighted works
whose owners cannot be located? Join attorney
and public interest advocate Gigi Sohn to
learn more about the need for orphan works
legislation, the history and background of
these types of copyrighted works, and a
discussion of current legislation, with its
pros and cons, that aims to resolve the
complex issues involved in orphan
works.</blockquote>

* Licensing Issues in Higher
Education
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AhmJEoHqasaIAdvUa2YFinU30mZT1IN5Z2ShtKD
jRZyDF3tXHzDrRvjVEzfuuzZboa8DwHolR84QGy9Z_-U1oq2pom6QjXqMqUU7flTT2K0iKKDofHfg
98VUCavJOpRb1YYRtyefOfEyoh59uTzCju)

* Moderator: Peggy Hoon
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79C0OqoMbhsrmKuXpiQumZedUJI2RCmKMlsSRXceB
ujJg97dNgUTTDoad5KIhkt4liZzL-WhthgM19-Awz-FTcz5PwhXjH76d8BziGxoXCPTWmIa-Rl8I8
q49YUDxwX9hpccXbjzSj2g68OdXEUz_dYO)

* February 9-20, 2009

vendor licenses that accompany your library's
electronic journals and database resources
leave you mystified and occasionally
paralyzed with confusion? Are you unsure of
your rights and responsibilities, the meaning
and appropriateness of the license terms? In
this online workshop you will learn the
basics of licensing law, ways to manage
licenses, and desirable and undesirable
license terms. </blockquote>

* Institutional Copyright
Policy Development
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CCVzxYs2ChvNoqdp_lOvN0mOsDyhtegvBz5LNw4
A4sA5GJHxB5fVz5VC2E0nkFu7QXzgun_yB637aCkL46lA-lhfnlF407INN1-L-CL_FEPPYRwxRTmV
knPZr6ZkpCsSkeILk2yxEo1llm2CVqm9qAxNL0jEiSjJA=)

* Moderator: Steven McDonald
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BD9805ro3R0bnV0RmlatpR2jdU38ljDIcNaMPJL
Y8Ob4yYSZGPmojdbeKMhbMKrY2odo8UivXc6JuBG5UxEcJDxFoWDmTrD49MEpscIWKeDpy46lXI9B
Pg9LZPLLLe8IHyNBgf1jQqCQF5uhNgo9KC)

* March 23-April 3, 2009

he helps you explore the often-complex
intersection between the worlds of copyright
policy and academia. McDonald will help you
evaluate an institution's needs and copyright
policies and help answer some of the many
questions that flow from the process of
policy development within the arena of higher
education.

* College Cheating
Trends
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BJ6OMDLJXvEpra28UufT3N33F-r4mD_RPv4MSRq
Zs3Mdtb4PM4VhU4kUJpV7BNsN_LPFCO1EiEkY8zHXMQbZIIcc1mjX9OBZ8vF-QMlP_YOXhbnPkdyx
lT5n-mfhQHPnqHguoNMeJPet5-ER6PhXG6)

* Moderator: Tricia Bertram Gallant
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79ClXhjUKCXJbOB0oy_yz-Bb1KdgtrxlkUPMCscjT
magFPeiQxC4Q7ED3ovyKily1TCEml4XgzfVZy2ZJRtn4ODxpX0NDOCeHfOdn5TwMkLhLlgjo052CG
GdtQmwTNKlL7uDERamp9bjZSoRs2bVt7IzeoTcI067j_k=)

* April 20-May 1, 2009

integrity practitioner and author Tricia
Bertram Gallant will help participants
explore student leanings toward
cheating--what they do, how often they do it,
and why they do it--as well as develop
pedagogical and developmental strategies for
responding and preventing student behaviors
that undermine the teaching and learning
environment.</blockquote>
Summer 2009

* Fair Use and Balance in
Copyright:
The Best Practices Model
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79B-Sy9XSde4tf4gWpSzqSy0tpQSFJpewKtv18coc
t7gIgWdWZTrY43C1DhXQA_BPV-W5LcJIbCcxSv5CtSKU_AKHV5G7I-CUZmeMCraTa9MWew52cAlYm
Q4mguVX2sq11HXH3Q4qNDPE69F4GL2wcF7)

* Moderators: Pat Aufderheide
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AHAxg68MwMRPyhvcbNGb6-a1q6CI2uEfe0Xi45D
gBu5_vcRocAa0sEEjxyw0oxuqWNXvmlbLSkSf8vJKpB_pR6o3_TbhGYn8mwGtOG8r6ahNSjQMjpmX
5z8zIVH22vLzY2WjqXxOZE8Qwrw0PuqpeB9BYUpMcXjrQ=) & Peter
Jaszi
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79C_YMF1weEO_zGvFBh3CthPjMlWZNFwqe_KFNWP7
bLltT0MAhlI5vtCxMYEKY0iuvJGzNegyOWccA2VWLFQahJGpjvb8W1m0PiCA-47BN9DIdp_HwK-1v
osouCFfcCmL6AU6Uri-cBTzf9GPkjoGPVj)

* June 1-12, 2009

changed industry practice with best-practices
codes for fair use explain both the law and
the importance of these new codes as tools
for practitioners. They describe how makers
of cultural material are designing and
employing codes that help them use the rights
they have. They explain the historical and
legal justifications for fair use,
troubleshoot interpretations and explore how
this model could work in your community.

Collectanea Blog...Rolling Along

Collected Perspectives on Copyright

Nearly 30,000 times each month, someone is
visiting and reading the posts on
Collectanea. (If you are one of them, we
say "Thanks!")  CIP began Collectanea about
18 months ago, and we have been pleased with
its growth.

One testimony to Collectanea's identity as
being a place for "collected perspectives on
copyright" is that our guest bloggers thus
far have
included: Kenny Crews, Laura Gasaway, Steve
McDonald, Peg O'Donnell, Carlos Ovalle, Tobe
Liebert, and Peggy Hoon.

All the sharing of perspectives has
not been simply uni-directional, though, as
posts by our bloggers have garnered reader
comments from attorneys, real estate agents,
educators, and other private citizens.  The
blog has had some spirited debate between
Georgia and the director of a major
university press. And copyright law
specialist William Patry, a renowned and
respected blogger himself
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DA6WtX9lWWjCPXBBZz13jef2IfSwysgVuC1MieR
u1og0GMD2enh6yzj_A-x6Q89G6G_z28NT5kBnHB9q3RL3q7BKq0p_ORmJ5lu3oozIQF8oeUbgJjmC
oX) on things
copyright, even stopped by to respond to one
of Georgia's
postings.Just a few of the topics blogged over the
past several months have included:

* Art
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79A-6oHmyEp_pa2m1-EqKQ1e6ef7KQ0L6EZni8s4A
MdU61vSVUnyeviU6CTwTLELXYP8cNphphpeulq2po6yrVe1f7V36J85zY2Aepadmo6VOaMxXZT0P9
LgSVCgnKViIMP1JHeKZXq5QmfN7ZPl8vP-)

* Creative
Commons
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79A44F-Fg0atRf8kaMg_MrsPi8QFI5Rzv9vngGVqu
2vII6QqKLqziwgOS4vKUAmSRjuFMntRxcMc8PgjY9RcR1VEE2BY6Zx00DdnMUAzZuXObRUVD8qbdE
VfXaJXFtR-pFILwadTc1hC4t6JE2lEFhwv5IFug2jkmck=)

* Digitization
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DNrB4IGXvt-Qn1D3ntPvfjmpUfOtSJQg57G-em_
es2zfV_mXJ0Z3-ctbwgoqE6fyL859R0QK_iICuSL_DlEGQ_9676A6B7sZ96o1iija4fJcpWRt5XCV
mU6tGOTSNQTEIz8PPj9tzC1DvRNCcnNvxz6_ma6iCQKcA=)

* DRM
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79ALZ06QR4DOXlx7XrNv0ZXZeT3RVG2Q5cGgjimzr
3esbe1BAh0cBt22pAT2MjTU7P7q-WcAxPuRjafBgM6t69fAya7aeZF3Sxp1Iz_E7O-_m-WKO4220-
ZXVFzojLsVRpA0M7GVcGPknW7wYdX5HFC6n9Fwa83HENNk8rKItNTDsa8JLX4JVbwx)

* Fair
Use
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DatXeFNFCbCKQXVuN1EJ91gEtxGjpPSSnaUJnnw
gFI0CKWMrlTz1hK93YiIEu1FOQJXDCrKvxSXwEZf-PrZ-gHT8EOAMYH2vwfCam9ytu8UZ51yKnxFK
6VLdfql9j_wWNT8IKRLpZ0UsiDEs0yreCq)

* Higher
Education
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CcsPDu2FeSIK-lgmbdY-V3SWSjcde7d5wDHU-lm
kZsxnOf5Kkx4iQhAKjE_akkAzIMzuezCNlSleoO3fYadAEINsClcTANfxWqTdZsnHoR7CHtkigAZA
fYIA61MHUH2y_njaHlemqmfRDgHu7Ql43TK4jZGn4XKaU=)

* Licensing
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BYyldDFD6PfIntVztYRy-l6_34kl2vgWPRqhQzQ
pVtrFQATPbbIyC0g6jYp_71dp7roIWJ4Hhg2Xa5_QVzok3bItyIY-nKWEF-zTrH20BPhTMyOm54Bp
RbDESa3w53cxTOlcMwBSoqN_9nb1utcJB8)

* Open
Access
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79Bhr3RaGtbqRgct0Y6X8dkm0yxLm0zgpaEtPLOQ1
wMOsQQRKDMTAKg9BAhM7f0-7XZ3irSwlQVV2Wx5kfts3tW4-3_I9pg4mHmMhneAgOYwfnaHPZixZq
FBZfoV0dLeoSqJueg0rIQqcwsdRTeSgaKo5-0rJUQoyzU=)

* Public
Domain
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AfzD04Q4TaZfAMPUN0CZmwJTnaRckxcqasQoT6q
_8ddGW5-BXs9_SS2QoUBS34obG6SQKuAh-9e5kAAMUVkEXPue6FCb0Zow9ZnuE3lOP0pqVVrc7OEC
aEkJrJB2YdmFFvRGqDtB4ZMFKjFdfd-HaOmioc9iVeurc=)
and of course...

* Copyright
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79CB3k-zD3kyWD7FdYSCOtzlR3-Rdv5GjNabG-mCg
FZKSynFVbzEjn45cSziGVJscwRTAt0DaZ7BxHXCS5qWciGAZF2CJnYjm2bIiRfO2kmtXkWyuZ6ZAs
d_KUP4AD2HyzvkLgzYlGtsvHezDoHY1vG-)

As an example of the ranging issues our
bloggers have covered, just one post from
Georgia Harper (A
new era in defining and applying fair use
norms
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79Axoc7uT4t-WMmRPld4e-T2matwHyCgwaRyjG4L6
ehUryUjF01hmABXI7q7sl5WqB2G7bsUXaSmC2La0NgJo5uQjya7dxNFDKFiSP3fnr9fy3ery2L9FO
wG2HhPdeSCTJfzYSfQNHcjagSJLTqYN_K7xS1IcMzoGG0Aho1ox2cVGqHa0nxpyVGtMbIalPxTJQv
asHkZ80zlGQ==), 7/21/08)
touched on the following topics: CONFU, fair
use, copyright, guidelines for educational
use, best practices for documentary film
making and for fair use in online video,
media literacy, the TEACH Act, and even
democracy and torture. (Who would have thought!)If you do not do so already,
you may want to:
Read.
Comment & talk back.
 Subscribe
to the
feed.
 Join the growing dialogue...
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79DuKOsJzSOEnonXfMfelo26OY_nkr36uTMo7IW73
ltMn-UxLoBftZ7d7UzxYkxotjhlpREVRpAqBCByT_FRwH6CPv_UGmTAcIlindcJfnoRENXuNBkZA5
9n_Dj3vQy9A0WGfhteCPQLUQ==)

Collected Standards of Practice in Copyright Management

Proceedings from the 2008 CIP Symposium Roundtable Discussions

The 2008 CIP Symposium agenda included
opportunities for participants to engage in
highly interactive roundtable discussions
focused on possible strategies and best
practices for handling copyright issues at
their institutions and organizations.

Topics of discussion were:

* Avoiding Income & Luxury Taxes: Best
Practices for Handling Copyright Issues When
Creating Content for Your University or
Library

* University Innovation & Copyright: How to
Become an Effective Advocate and Move Your
Community from Baltic Avenue to Park Place

* Creating a Community Chest: Best
Practices for
Expanding the Public Domain at Your
Institution

* Best Practices that Guide Mass Digitization
Projects or the Development of Institutional
Repositories

The result of those roundtable sessions is a
document that contains the contributions from
all who participated, both in the real and
the virtual worlds.  Collected
Standards of Practice for Copyright
Management is available for download
in the CIP
symposium archives
(http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79AHU217SsfLtrARKETE0JLMJ7F7gVA_cMnE6k-zI
4_yMUJ_DTzPq0Hyx1dAGdbSQyLmJM6W70M1eiRzDdGPDZB6lS8mrFUeamIv6oe26xtsLUlVMELvfx
UT5bjFNBi2sTvS7_J4Z84z5SrjoNuoZshrMyiDjMkGBrh-p1PpqvaubyX_ZWk3Kp3XWGSiqGLjOPa
LiXVXfe4MYb8fwZNAnev1a3lLi_RB_5Q=). We hope you will find
the document to be useful for your further
thought and practice.

Try phrases like: dramatic savings, clearance, overstocked, reduced rates, buy
1 get 1 free, treat yourself, you deserve it, and don't miss out.Our Price: $
Learn More -
http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=0014JJHBs4r79BwgTnnzqrlYekoHdTUemcYi6yT8ZtRvn7XwQ07QH
flCcDyU1dO5PrAdfYvW0fKphGTbl18epCYBWYaPzjOWGP4tUMsYQNvqQgxX87JG-Goow==

Center for Intellectual PropertyExploring Copyright, Promoting Integrity,
Imagining Digital Futures...in Education

---------------------------------------------email: cip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
240-582-2803web: http://www.umuc.edu/cip

Forward email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1101349605475&ea=archive-lists.um
uc.edu-digital-copyright%40biglist.com&a=1102141016457

This email was sent to archive-lists.umuc.edu-digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxx by
cip@xxxxxxxxx

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=oo&v=001_D6q8SmIH1pPbRZ2729OA2KtK0
nwvIe1cVyLZdM7tW5miwuUm7l68XTTmcOEokpfE_qFcKXUVnbgamooVLEW5Q%3D%3D

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?p=un&v=001_D6q8SmIH1pPbRZ2729OA2KtK0
nwvIe1cVyLZdM7tW5miwuUm7l68XTTmcOEokpfE_qFcKXUVnbgamooVLEW5Q%3D%3D

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Email Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

University of Maryland University College | Center for Intellectual Property -
PG Metro 3 | 3501 University Boulevard East | Adelphi | MD | 20783