Re: Burn a CD from an MP3?

Subject: Re: Burn a CD from an MP3?
From: "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:34:07 -0500
In terms of burning a CD, you may want to look at
your license first and see if it mentions the
issue. For instance, the iTunes license
specifically mentions that a playlist can be
transferred a set number of times (about 5).  But
since it's a department and not for personal use,
I don't know what the impact would be. In any
case, you do want to limit the number of CD's
burned.

In terms of playing the music in the classroom, I
think fair use convention generally accepted in
the U.S. covers playing any legal CD in the
classroom.  If you decide you can't burn legally,
then playing over the laptop (possibly with
speakers) would be an option.

Posting is tricker. TEACH specifies that
streaming is preferable to posting a downloadable
file, but the instructor needs access to a
streaming server.   One place to ask might be
your library. We're lucky enough to have a
library which can host files on a streaming
server as part of the electronics reserves
system. Your library may also subscribe to
musical databases where students can listen to
streamed music (usually classical or world music).

One idea you may be able to use is to create a
playlist in either Amazon or iTunes for your
students. The students can't listen to the whole
song, but they can purchase songs for a low price
as needed (basically 99 cents/song).

In essence you're creating a custom music package
which the students pay to download - but without
having to clear permisisons from individual
publishers (because you're only pulling suggested
titles from a pre-existing library).  It's faster
and probably cheaper than the older way of doing
it.

Hope some of this helps.

Elizabeth Pyatt

digital-copyright Digest 22 Jan 2009 16:00:00 -0000 Issue 852

Topics (messages 1593 through 1594):

Burn a CD from an MP3?
	1593 by: Janet Nepkie
	1594 by: John Mitchell

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
	<digital-copyright-digest-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:

To post to the list, e-mail:
	<digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:52:01 -0500 To: <digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> From: Janet Nepkie <nepkiej@xxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Burn a CD from an MP3? Message-ID: <C59D1141.308E3%nepkiej@xxxxxxxxxxx>

One of our Music Department faculty asked the following:

"Do you know if I were to ask our secretary to purchase MP3 files from the
Amazon.com  music department, would she able to burn a disc of those tracks
on her computer? Do you know any restrictions to this? It  would be
important for me to be able to play these recordings in class, either on a
disc or from my computer."

 I'm assuming the suggested behavior would be a violation of Title 17, but
I'm not at all sure.  I don't see how burning a CD from a purchased MP3
would qualify for exceptions or exemptions in Sections 107, 110 or 1008, but
my amateur status with the copyright law makes me unsure of the answer to
the question below.
I'm also assuming that the faculty member could PLAY the MP3 in a classroom
or POST the MP3 in an enrollment managed online course as a result of the
TEACH Act.  Is that right?

Thank you,
Janet Nepkie

Dr. J. Nepkie