Burn a CD from an MP3?

Subject: Burn a CD from an MP3?
From: Janet Nepkie <nepkiej@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 17:52:01 -0500
One of our Music Department faculty asked the following:

"Do you know if I were to ask our secretary to purchase MP3 files from the
Amazon.com  music department, would she able to burn a disc of those tracks
on her computer? Do you know any restrictions to this? It  would be
important for me to be able to play these recordings in class, either on a
disc or from my computer."

 I'm assuming the suggested behavior would be a violation of Title 17, but
I'm not at all sure.  I don't see how burning a CD from a purchased MP3
would qualify for exceptions or exemptions in Sections 107, 110 or 1008, but
my amateur status with the copyright law makes me unsure of the answer to
the question below.
I'm also assuming that the faculty member could PLAY the MP3 in a classroom
or POST the MP3 in an enrollment managed online course as a result of the
TEACH Act.  Is that right?

Thank you,
Janet Nepkie

Dr. J. Nepkie