RE: Rights to the likeness of Personalities

Subject: RE: Rights to the likeness of Personalities
From: "Ford, William" <7Ford@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:33:49 -0600
"For example, using his image iin a film for distribution on PBS would need
permission."

What state's right of publicity law would include this situation as one
requiring permission? If a state's law did cover this situation, it would
raise serious First Amendment questions.

"The sculptor and UT Austin, for the creation of the MLK sculpture on the
grounds of UT Austin's campus, obtained permission."

Generally speaking, the mere fact that someone asked for permission should not
be treated as evidence that permission is legally required. Parties may ask
for permission because it is too expensive to litigate the question,
regardless of whether the law is on their side. If the judicial system was
capable of producing a decision at a lower cost than a license, then
presumably fewer people would ask for permission.

-Bill

William K. Ford
Assistant Professor of Law
The John Marshall Law School