Photographs and copyright

Subject: Photographs and copyright
From: "Marsha Zavar" <mlzavar@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 14:13:39 -0400
Some staff members at Beeghly Library, Ohio Wesleyan University are involved
in a digitization project. We are planning on using photographs that an OWU
faculty member took in Japan and posting them online in digital format. Some
of the photos look like they were taken in museums or living history
centers. My question is as follows: does the person who took the photos own
the copyright to the photographs? Is the subject matter important when
considering copyright ownership? Also she has  taken random shots of people
in public settings. Do we have to be concerned with privacy rights if these
are posted online?

Thanks for your help,

Marsha

[***** removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]