Re: Photographs and copyright

Subject: Re: Photographs and copyright
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 16:33:06 -0400
I agree with Sherry Gordon's response to the first question: university policy governs ownership of copyright in works created by faculty members.

As for the second question, in US law the subject matter of the photographs only matters if another work (such as a work of architecture) is portrayed by the photograph. Taking a photograph of a copyrighted work is likely a derivative work. Japanese, rather than US, copyright law may be operative here since the works were created in Japan. You'll need to consult an attorney who understands the jurisdictional issues here.

The third question is not a matter of copyright law but of privacy law in Japan, which may or may not be enforceable in the US if the photographs will be hosted in a US-based server.

I am not an attorney, so none of the above shall constitute legal advice. I would consult your university's general counsel office.

Kevin Hawkins

Marsha Zavar wrote:
Some staff members at Beeghly Library, Ohio Wesleyan University are involved
in a digitization project. We are planning on using photographs that an OWU
faculty member took in Japan and posting them online in digital format. Some
of the photos look like they were taken in museums or living history
centers. My question is as follows: does the person who took the photos own
the copyright to the photographs? Is the subject matter important when
considering copyright ownership? Also she has  taken random shots of people
in public settings. Do we have to be concerned with privacy rights if these
are posted online?

Thanks for your help,

Marsha

[***** removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]