Really simple copyright question...

Subject: Really simple copyright question...
From: "Ryan.R.Worrell@xxxxxxxxx" <ryanrworrell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:29:21 -0700
So, I am sure this is a simple copyright question, but I am getting a
little pushback and thought I would pose it to the group to see if I
am missing anything.

Professor at a non profit religious university would like to be able
to have a "bible study" type series of events at the school (for
students) wherein a film is played and then discussed from a religious
perspective.  So, for example, the professor would play the Matrix and
then discusses the parallels with Christianity.  It is a small school,
so they asked outside counsel to consider whether this would be OK.
The attorney said no (but I do not have that attorney's explanation).
Professor came to me for a second opinion.

I think this clearly falls into section 110(1) protection.  Am I
missing something?  I guess that there could be an argument that since
these studies are not be part of a "credit granting" class, it may not
qualify for 110(1) protection, but I do not read such a requirement
into the statute.  The studies will take place on campus, in a
classroom, with students and a tenured professor.  There could be an
argument that playing the entire film is too consumptive, but this
wouldn't be a Fair Use case...it is a statutory defense.

So, am I missing something?

Ryan Worrell