Re: International textbook editions

Subject: Re: International textbook editions
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:09:32 -0400
Cindy,

You are speaking of an issue of huge proportions -- and one the
Supreme Court will consider (whether to grant cert) on September 29,
2009. At issue here is the U.S. textbook publishers' claims that
Section 109 of the Copyright Act (aka the first sale doctrine
codification) does not apply to copies "made" outside of the United
States.

The Supreme Court case involves a suit by Omega against Costco because
Omega was fleecing U.S. consumers by discriminating against them in
price. ($1,700 watches Costco was selling for $1,200 because it was
buying them abroad). Omega could not prevent these sales, so it
resorted to copyright law by embossing a small copyrighted logo on the
backs of watches, and then sued Costco for infringing its distribution
right. Costco won at the DC level, but Omega won on appeal to the 9th
Circuit, which applied what it considered to be binding precedent,
concluding that Section 109's reference to "lawfuly made under this
title" means "made in the U.S.A." and, therefore, copyright holders
who make their copies abroad have no such limitation placed on their
distribution right.

Major textbook publishers are taking the same position, because U.S.
students typically have higher incomes (or enjoy financial aid) with
which to buy expensive textbooks that markets in India and China, for
example, would not be able to afford.

I've found that some of the notices are bogus (i.e., they say it is
unlawful to sell them in the U.S., yet the inside says it was printed
in the U.S.), but often they are in fact printed overseas.

I am currently defending a woman who was selling Chinese editions of
the books to give a price break to students here. We are now awaiting
a ruling on cross-motions to dismiss in the SDNY. It is the same issue
on appeal in Costco.

Let me know if you wish more details, but the parents should rest
assured that owning such a book is not infringement. The publishers
are trying their best to prevent price competition from secondary
markets and parallel imports, not to protect any copyright interest,
but to protect an artificially high non-competitive price.

Our Answer to the Complaint by two publishers outlines what I consider
to be some of the major antitrust implications of what the publishers
are doing, but the interpretation of Section 109 is front and center.
The publishers have sued a number of online sites, most of which just
settle or have default judgments entered against them. My client
decided to fight.

In my judgement, the parents should be pleased that Amazon appears
unconcerned. It should not have to be, if the books are non-infringing
copies, no matter where the books came from. If I were a copyright
educator, I would applaud the purchase of the lower cost legal
alternative. The publishers are, as we allege, misusing copyrights to
restrain lawful price competition. And they are misinterpreting the
law -- a law on the books for 100 years, based on jurisprudence dating
back 150 years.

John

John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com