Photographing purchased objects

Subject: Photographing purchased objects
From: Karen Kunz <Karen.Kunz@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:50:04 -0800
I have an Anatomy instructor who has created digital handouts for her students
comprised of photographs of bones along with her additional narrative of what
each part of the bone is called. The 3-D models of the various bones that were
photographed were purchased from various companies and there is no identifying
mark on any of them.

The students would like to purchase these handouts in a packet (as opposed to
individually printing them). My instructor is wondering what copyright issues
might arise from changing the access to these documents from digital (only her
students) to selling them in the bookstore (general public).

Since the documents are obviously under her copyright, the issue becomes
whether she could sell photos of the 3-D models. Since the models are of
something common (bones) and are not distinctive, I couldn't see any problem
with her selling her handouts. Does anyone else see an issue that I might have
missed?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Karen

Karen Kunz
Oregon Institute of Technology Libraries