Re: Photographing purchased objects

Subject: Re: Photographing purchased objects
From: claudia holland <chollan3@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:02:38 -0500
I think we're missing the real question Karen asked, which is whether
the instructor cum photographer can sell her photos of the 3-D models
(part or all) to the public. I agree that there is some question as to
whether the models are copyrightable because there is no "originality"
or creativity involved in simply making a cast of a bone (anatomy is
fact-based). Conservatively speaking, if one considers the models to be
copyrighted, is it "legal" for the instructor to commercialize a
derivative work of someone else's models? As has been mentioned, the
copyright policy of the instructor's school should be taken into account
but equally important is the risk factor. The instructor has to weigh
the risk s/he is willing to take and make that decision, or cut to the
chase and simply ask the model manufacturer for permission to sell the
derivative.

Claudia Holland

[***** removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of chollan3.vcf]