[Center for Intellectual Property] Newsletter Autumn 2009

Subject: [Center for Intellectual Property] Newsletter Autumn 2009
From: "Center for Intellectual Property" <noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 16:00:54 -0600
[IMAGE]

News & Notes

Newsletter of the CIP
Autumn 2009

 in this issue

Subsc ribe

 :: P2P Software Under Congressional Scrutiny

 :: Executive Director's Corner

 :: 2010 CIP Symposium - Hybrid ): Sustaining Culture in Copyright

 :: Online Workshops: Improve Your ) Know-how

 :: Free Community Conversations

 :: The CIP Has Moved

 :: CIP on the Road

U.S. Capitol illustrationP2P Software Under Congressional Scrutiny
Up on the Hill with
Kenneth Salomon

The House of Representatives Committee on Oversight and Investigations
explored the privacy risks associated with peer-to-peer software in a
July 30 hearing.  The title of the hearing -- "Inadvertent File Sharing
Over Peer-to-Peer Networks: How it Endangers Citizens and Jeopardizes
National Security" -- illustrates deep concern in Congress over P2P.
This time, however, Congress is focused not on music and movie file
sharing by college and university students but sharply on the
unintentional privacy and security threats of P2P software and the
failure of software providers to address the risks.  And legislation
aimed at inadvertent file sharing appears to be in the offing.

Read the rest of the article...

Kenneth SalomonAttorney Kenneth Salomon is a Member of Dow Lohnes and
head of the firm's Government Relations Practice Group. He also serves as
the Chairman of Dow Lohnes Government Strategies LLC. Mr. Salomon's
decades of practice have focused on such areas as communications,
government relations and legislation, intellectual property, mass media,
and post-secondary education.

Free Community Conversations
Meeting Monthly in the Member Community

Among the opportunities provided to members of the CIP are our Community
Conversations, one-hour sessions with scholars, practitioners, and CIP
staff. If you are not a member of the CIP Community, join today so that
you can participate in these Conversations. If you are a member, then
plan to attend these special informal discussions; log in at the Member
Community for more details.

Upcoming Conversations include:

  * Copyright Caselaw Updates, December 16, 2009, 1 PM ET -- Led by Tomas
    Lipinski

  * P2P Updates on Campus, January 11, 2010, 2 PM ET -- Led by Fred von
    Lohmann

  * Google Book Search in Depth, January 20, 2010, 12:30 PM ET -- Led by
    Peter Jaszi and Lateef Mtima

  * Copyright Literacy, February 24, 2010, 1 PM ET -- Led by Kimberly
    Bonner and Olga Francois

  * Licensing Updates, March 31, 2010, 1 PM ET -- Led by Dru Zuretti

  * Community Orientation, Dates/Times TBA (Quarterly: March, June,
    September, December) -- Led by Jack Boeve

The CIP Has Moved
UMUC's New Academic Center at Largo

"You moved? Where are you?" The CIP's new home is within the UMUC
Academic Center at Largo.

"Largo? Where is Largo?" Largo is a suburb to the east of D.C. The new
building is in an office park proximate to and with convenient access the
DC Beltway and to the DC Metro. It is just over 11 miles from the current
UMUC location and is approximately 8 miles north of Andrews Air Force
Base.

"OK, tell me more." Originally built in 1990 as a corporate headquarters
for the Hechinger Company, the Academic Center recently received a total
top-to-bottom renovation in its spaces, major systems, and technology,
and will implement environmentally responsible design to earn
Silver-level LEED Certification. Containing large open spaces with
plentiful natural light, this facility will house the university's
academic operations, including the Graduate School of Management and
Technology and the School of Undergraduate Studies.

In addition to refurbished office space and classrooms, amenities within
the facility include a full-service cafeteria, fitness center, and
meeting and conference rooms, including one that can accommodate
approximately 300 seats (and, yes, we have plenty of parking). The CIP
staff has already begun discussing how we might use our new facility to
serve our members through workshops and smaller conferences onsite in
Largo. Stay tuned for details.

We invite you to visit!

[IMAGE]

2010 Online Workshops: We Have a Place for You!
Improve Your ) Know-How

[IMAGE]Since 1999, the CIP has offered the Intellectual Property in
Academia online workshops, a series of asynchronous educational programs
designed to meet the needs of information professionals, librarians,
faculty, university counsel, and instructional designers. The topics and
workshop instructors for the 2009-2010 series will provide participants
with an understanding of select intellectual property issues facing
higher education so as to manage better the rapid and dynamic changes
experienced in today's digital environment.  The instructors for this
series include copyright scholars and practitioners who have studied the
laws, issues, and trends and who are able to ask thoughtful questions
alongside of providing candid perspectives and helpful insights. Be sure
to visit the workshop website for all the details, including full
descriptions and goals, instructor bios, and special member pricing

Institutional Copyright Policies
January 14-29, 2010
Instructor: Steve McDonald

Join attorney Steve McDonald as he helps you explore the often-complex
intersection between the worlds of copyright policy and academia.
McDonald will discuss and help you evaluate whether an institution needs
to develop a copyright policy, as well as how to answer some of the many
questions that flow from the process of doing so within the arena of
higher education.

[IMAGE]

Google Book Search in Depth
February 1-12, 2010
Instructor: Peter Jaszi

This workshop will focus on copyright issues in the dispute between the
Google Book Search project and authors/publishers. Sessions will review
this ambitious plan to create a universal digital library, the lawsuits
filed to block it, and the recently proposed settlement agreement in the
litigation.

[IMAGE]

P2P, Universities, and the RIAA Strategy
March 1-12, 2010
Instructor: Fred von Lohmann

Major entertainment industry players continue to decry what they perceive
as an epidemic of "piracy" on campus networks, while sending a flurry of
"DMCA notices" to university administrators demanding that they take
steps to address the problem. This workshop will bring you up-to-date on
the legal issues surrounding peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing on campus
networks and will also provide an up-to- the-minute overview of emerging
solutions (such as the music industry's Choruss licensing offers). This
workshop will also cover the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA).

[IMAGE]

Click HERE for more information and the registration form.

CIP on the Road
Boston; January 15-19

[IMAGE]Are you going to ALA Midwinter in Boston? We are!

Sharpen your copyright knowledge at Booth #2658.

  * Learn more about how the CIP's educational programs, research, and
    resources can assist you.

  * Visit Early to get some cool stuff (available while limited supplies
    last).

  * Enter our drawing for a chance to win a 2010 CIP Symposium
    registration.

  * Join the CIP Member Community for information professionals.

Meet CIP staff members Olga Francois and Steven Petersen and get more
information. You can find it all at Booth #2658.

Forward this email to a friend [IMAGE]

Executive Director's Corner by Kimberly M. Bonner, J.D.
[IMAGE]

2009 - A Look Back

In an attempt to become the premier copyright resource center in higher
education, the Center for Intellectual Property has undergone a
transformation.  Change seems to be the operative concept in modern life,
and change we have.   In the past year, CIP evolved into a member-based
organization.  We still serve our constituents via free web resources on
the main CIP website, but we now provide ongoing services to our members
via a social-networking platform.  The CIP member community is a place
where members can interact with others, share information,
best-practices, and research, participate regularly in conversations with
copyright experts, obtain discounts on professional development
programming, and continue to enhance their skills via a certification
process.  One of the goals of CIP's transformation is to develop and
enhance the copyright expertise of information professionals in the U.S.

A critical element of this transformation is the development of the
Certification in Copyright Management and Leadership. As the Executive
Director of the CIP, I had the honor of both developing and delivering
this eight (8) week online program using the Center for Intellectual
Property Handbook as the textbook.  The participants in the Certification
were from all walks of higher education.  I was literally overwhelmed by
the quality of the interaction with participants and the topics and
concerns that were consistently expressed.  Participants articulated that
a critical need on most college campuses was to develop processes and
systems to handle the many complex copyright problems involved with
delivering information to students and faculty -- from copyright
ownership, permissions, and licenses to orphan works and fair use.  The
need for systemic process development and copyright literacy was
repeatedly underscored.  This first class of certification participants
indicated that one of the greatest needs in the higher education
community is clarification of fair use for digital media.  CIP will focus
its research agenda on fair use in 2010.  We hope to provide further
details on this research agenda soon.

2009 also marks the end of the first term of the inaugural CIP Advisory
Board.  The CIP staff is forever grateful for the meaningful service and
contributions of members of the Board.  The CIP Advisory Board members
will begin a new two (2) year term in 2010, enhancing the work that has
already been accomplished.

2009 also marks the first time the CIP initiated a bi-annual symposium.
This change permitted the CIP to coordinate its symposium to occur the
same week as the American Library Association's (ALA) annual conference
and to place the symposium in the same venue as the ALA national
conference, the Washington Convention Center in Washington, DC.   This
change also enabled the CIP to lower registration costs per attendee.  We
hope that you, as a CIP constituent or member, will respond positively to
this change and register early for the symposium when our website is
available for registrations in January, 2010.  If you plan on
participating in the ALA mid-winter in Boston, please visit the CIP's
exhibit table.  We would love to see you!

The CIP has indeed undergone a transformation.  We hope these changes
have enhanced both the quality and accessibility of our programs and
services.

On behalf of the CIP, I hope that you and your family have a healthy,
happy and prosperous 2010.

Happy Holidays!

[IMAGE]

2010 CIP SymposiumSave the Dates...Be There!
[IMAGE]

Join scholars and experts to discuss today's copyright concerns.

Featured Keynotes:

  * Peter Jaszi, Washington College of Law, American University

  * William Patry, Google, Inc.

Registration opens January 4, 2010.

Come for the CIP Symposium ... and stay for the ALA Annual Conference,
June 24-30!

Both the CIP Symposium and the ALA Conference are being held at the
Washington, DC, Convention Center.

University of Maryland University College | Center for Intellectual
Property - Largo Academic Center
3501 University Boulevard East | Adelphi | MD | 20783
If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here

[IMAGE]