RE: digitizing news clippings collection

Subject: RE: digitizing news clippings collection
From: "Peter B. Hirtle" <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 14:29:43 -0500
Jessica:

This is a tough question to answer.  I might suggest that as a start you read
the chapters on "Fair Use" and "Risk Management: How to Digitize Safely" in my
book "Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for
U.S. Libraries, Archives, and Museums," available for sale on Amazon and as a
free download from http://www.ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/14142 or
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1495365.  They won't answer
your question, but might give you a framework for thinking about the risk you
face.

Peter

Peter B. Hirtle
Senior Policy Advisor
Scholarly Resources and Special Collections
Cornell University Library
221 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY  14853
mailto:peter.hirtle@xxxxxxxxxxx