Georgia State lawsuit moving forward

Subject: Georgia State lawsuit moving forward
From: Monica Aebly <Monica.Aebly@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:08:16 -0700
The next step in the Georgia State University case has unfolded with  Judge
Orinda Evans ruling on September 30, 2010. While her ruling is on the summary
judgment motions and the case is not settled, the judge's ruling does give the
academic community reason to breathe a little easier.  Judge Evans seems to
have recognized the value of fair use in our educational endeavors and that is
a positive step forward. We will continue to watch this case, which is two and
a half years old now, because the outcome will influence how we apply fair use
at our institutions. Kevin Smith's blog at
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/2010/10/01/going-forward-with-georgia
-state-lawsuit/ explains the ruling in depth.

Monica Aebly
Copyright Office
Western Washington University
Wilson Library-Rm 562, MS-9127