In the News

Subject: In the News
From: Amy Mata <amymata87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:47:55 -0400
--------------------
EFF's Cohn fights copyright's 'underbelly.'
By Greg Sandoval, CNET News, October 19, 2010.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20020028-261.html

"An unmistakable strain of compassion runs through Cindy Cohn's voice
when she talks about the plight of Internet users she says are wrongly
accused of copyright violations or tech companies she believes are
being abused by large entertainment conglomerates."

----------
Operation Payback Hits UK IPO Site.
Staff, IP Pro Portal, October 19, 2010.
http://tinyurl.com/2fqkdev

"The hackers behind the Operation Payback have downed the UK
Intellectual Property Office's website as part of their protest
against the anti-piracy measures taken up by the government and the
media industry."

----------
Will Copyright Law Save New York Area Baseball Fans?
By Sarah Lai Stirland, BroadbandBreakfast, October 19, 2010.
http://tinyurl.com/28k4qxt

"As the landmark dispute over retransmission consent fees between Fox
and Cablevision threatens to  drag on through Tuesday, New York area
baseball fans who are also Cablevision subscribers are scrambling to
make alternative plans to view or hear the game."

----------
Want to Change German Copyright Law?
By Glyn Moody, Computer World UK, October 19, 2010.
http://tinyurl.com/266ukxp

"Of course you do - and here's your big chance. Dirk Riehle is not
only the Professor for Open Source Software at the
Friedrich-Alexander-University of Erlangen-N|rnberg (Germany orders
these things better than we do), but he is also part of an expert
council advising a multilateral commission instituted by the German
parliament to discuss and make recommendations on, well, Internet and
digital society.

----------
Open Source Primer.
By Alan Shimel, Network World, October 18, 2010.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/67556

"My friend Joe Franscella of Trainer Communications and the
SecurityHeavy blog, is a good friend and avid reader of all the blogs
I write. While being a top PR and marketing pro, as well as knowing
the security market in and out, Joe is a bit of a novice on open
source. He asked if it would be possible to do a post giving some
background on open source for all of you who may not be open source
experts.  Great idea Joe!  Here is my feeble attempt at it. This will
be the first of a multi-part series I will try to write every week.
Hopefully for those of you who are open source novices this will help.
 For those of you who are open source experts, feel free to chime in."

India: MNC's Coming to Settle Copyright Cases: Supreme Court Judge.
Daily News and Analysis, October 18, 2010.
http://tinyurl.com/2ga25h5

"Sounding a warning to pirates, Supreme Court (SC) judge Dalveer
Bhandari has said many multinational companies (MNCs) were now suing
individuals and organisations in India for violating intellectual
property rights since the cost of litigation in the country was
reasonable and disposal of cases had become speedy."