Re: question about music

Subject: Re: question about music
From: "Bryan M. Carson" <bryan.m.carson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 19:15:12 -0600
Hi, Claudia,

I believe that you will find the answer in a new document released Earlier this year by the Dance Heritage Coalition. This is entitled "Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use of Dance-related Materials: Recommendations for Librarians, Archivists, Curators, and Other Collections Staff," and can be found online at http://www.danceheritage.org/fairuse/DHC_fair_use_statement.pdf.

The title page explains the purpose of the document as follows:

This Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use clarifies what librarians, archivists, curators, and others working with dance-related materials currently regard as a reasonable application of the Copyright Acts fair use doctrine, where the use of copyrighted materials is essential to significant cultural missions and institutional goals.

The Statement of Best Practices was written by Libby Smigel and Peter Jaszi, and has been endorsed by a number of organizations, including:
* Congress on Research in Dance
* Dance Critics Association
* Dance Films Association
* National Dance Education Organization
* Society of Dance History Scholars
* Theatre Library Association

Although I attended a conference session on the best practices last spring right after they were released, I'm far from an expert on dance. What I can tell you though is that broadcasting the performance on the school cable does *not* fall within the education exception to copyright in 17 U.S.C. section 110. Section 110(1) deals with face-to-face education, so that isn't available if you broadcast. Section 110(2)--known as the TEACH Act--is only available to students who are actually enrolled in the specific class. So this doesn't apply.

I would say that you probably don't have a fair use claim, since you are using the entire work of music. But you should read the best practices yourself.

Bryan M. Carson

--
Bryan M. Carson, J.D., M.I.L.S., Ed.D.
Special Assistant to the Dean for Grants&  Projects/

1906 College Heights Blvd. #11067
Bowling Green, Kentucky  42101-1067
Phone: 270-745-5007; Fax: 270-745-2275
bryan.carson@xxxxxxx

All original content copyright Bryan M. Carson